Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to purchase an old trailer to build a camper trailer out of 

problem is, I’m not an engineer, so I wouldn’t know what steel is strong enough to support the weight of me and my mrs in a roof top tent above it.

what grade/size RHS should I be looking at for building the frame out of? 

On 16/12/2023 at 20:30, 87creepin said:

I would like to purchase an old trailer to build a camper trailer out of 

problem is, I’m not an engineer, so I wouldn’t know what steel is strong enough to support the weight of me and my mrs in a roof top tent above it.

what grade/size RHS should I be looking at for building the frame out of? 

we need to know how big your missus is first. a pic will do 

• Haha 8

• 2 weeks later...

I got one a while back. It was OK. It was a real tight fit on the column spline so a bastard to get off again, and the threaded holes for the wheel were cut a bit shite. The metal is also the cheapest Chinesium, so take care not to strip those threads, maybe chase them with a tap first. Other than that, did what I needed it to.

20230501_173431.jpg

• Like 1

Id go HKB all day. 

I no longer have the photos, but i got one off aliexpress for SFA, and it was so absolutely atrocious i refused to use it. It was so bad i donated it to LVVTA as an example of whats out there. ( @KKtrips may still have it?)  It was the stuff of nightmares. Because once bolted on, nobody wohld be able to see how terrible it was. And its a critical safety part. If it fails, youre gonna crash. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Id go HKB all day. 

I no longer have the photos, but i got one off aliexpress for SFA, and it was so absolutely atrocious i refused to use it. It was so bad i donated it to LVVTA as an example of whats out there. ( @KKtrips may still have it?)  It was the stuff of nightmares. Because once bolted on, nobody wohld be able to see how terrible it was. And its a critical safety part. If it fails, youre gonna crash. 

It's here

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 87creepin said:

Are the Trademe boss kits worth a shot or should I get a legit one such as HKB? 

How important is your steering to you? That should answer your question.

• Like 3

Cheers guys, I’ll go HKB

This is the one I nicked off my mr2, didn’t notice anything untoward about it but will go back and have a look

A past owner had installed it with what appears to be a genuine Momo wheel. It has the ‘’made in Italy” engraved on the rear. So perhaps this boss kit is legit..

HNoAztJ.jpeg

Going from your thread, id be more worried about the Aliexpress steering wheel than the boss kit. Last one I had you could bend the rim just by looking in its direction. Its still on my garage wall as a tribute to the gods of Chinese knockoffs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, 87creepin said:

Cheers guys, I’ll go HKB

This is the one I nicked off my mr2, didn’t notice anything untoward about it but will go back and have a look

A past owner had installed it with what appears to be a genuine Momo wheel. It has the ‘’made in Italy” engraved on the rear. So perhaps this boss kit is legit..

isn't Italy, a suburb of Beijing ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, kws said:

Going from your thread, id be more worried about the Aliexpress steering wheel than the boss kit. Last one I had you could bend the rim just by looking in its direction. Its still on my garage wall as a tribute to the gods of Chinese knockoffs.

I got a chy-nah knock off wheel (at the same time as that horriffic boss kit) and the quality is amazing. (Knock off OMP) its remarkably sturdy. 

• Like 3

@HighLUX it was something like 3s crank seals, 4k Mains and big ends (there are 2 different sizes), 4k middle and oil rings, with Honda d16 top piston rings. The crank thrust washers were unique, I think I still have a set of two of them.. I might also have a couple of Honda rings because I must have used 1.5 sets to do the rebuild... From memory the head gasket also wasn't all that easy to procure.. valve shims are 16v 4age, as are the valve stem seals maybe from memory..

EDIT: Found this box dated 2003 and I have written 1G on it at some stage..

Can't help with replacement pistons though sorry. Well unless you need a complete runner 1ggte with a KP starlet attached supra 5 speed and shortened Hilux LSD etc..

20240105_122242_compress14.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers. Had a young guy come from Auckland before and grab some 1G bits off me, namely a block as he had bought @BlownCoronas old Crown and it blew up on him at Hamilton after driving it home from Dunedin so hes trying to rebuild it at the moment. Il pass the info on