Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

On 07/06/2023 at 20:38, Bling said:

Check what TGP hoses are worth, from memory not bad. If available anyway.

TGP were, by far, the cheapest for son's Surf, but ex-Japan. eventhough it is a LN106 with wagon body, BNT/Repco/local brake shop had none in local stock either

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 05/06/2023 at 17:33, tortron said:

Thr Papakura one doesn't take it

I don't think any others do. It's pretty rubbish, il just pour it on a taniwha shall i

Council site says supercheap, but I haven't seen the big yellow bin out front for a while. 

I have like 60L to get rid of, so a burner would be a good investment

Puke repco has waste oil bins out the front.

First time poster

I was just watching a youtube video of a bloke putting coilovers on his Sierra Cosworth.

I'd never really thought about it, but if the springs are separate from the shocks & the coilovers bolt in where the shock went, isn't that a disaster waiting to happen ?

In my tiny brain, a separate shock mount is in no way built to take any load, let alone the weight of the car.

Dan, 56, confused.

• Like 2

I don't know Sierra, but know that in my car, if you do that conversion you need to strengthen both the bottom mount and shock tower. From memory anyway. Correct that shit ain't made to work like that. Not on the road anyway, if it's race car then anything probably goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarolsHusband said:

First time poster

I was just watching a youtube video of a bloke putting coilovers on his Sierra Cosworth.

I'd never really thought about it, but if the springs are separate from the shocks & the coilovers bolt in where the shock went, isn't that a disaster waiting to happen ?

In my tiny brain, a separate shock mount is in no way built to take any load, let alone the weight of the car.

Dan, 56, confused.

Correct, but depends on the car.

Some vehicles that have the bump stop on the shock are designed to have more load through the shock , so need less/no strength added 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CarolsHusband said:

First time poster

Dan, 56, confused.

I'm currently doing this. Requires significant mods to the shock towers, essentially rebuilding them much stronger.

• Thanks 1

Fella came by our yard yesterday with a 1gr-fe powered prado making a terrible valve train clacking sound on the drivers side bank. I didnt really know anything about these engines (until I did some research last night that is) so at the time I suggested it could have a collapsed follower/lifter. That's what it sounds like. He took it home and had pulled the cam cover off but can't find anything amiss. 

I've found one video online that has the same sound.. 

I'll try to get out to have a look at it for him later. Anything else I could check other then turning it over and checking the valves are at least all there and operating. 

I figure I should be OK to pop the cops back on and start it up for a few seconds without the cover - see if I can locate the noise.  It will be messy I know. 

Toymotor experts please chime in with sage advice  @AllTorque etc etc

34 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

scan tool

But thanks. Its definitely sounds like mechanical banging sort of thing but I can try the injector plugs.

I dont have a 'proper' scan tool but matey boy down in the village does so I could try that.

That sounds like when I had a slightly bent valve. Would go down, come up part way, get slapped and repeat

Was hard to diagnose because turning it over by hand the thing would pop up by itself, but e enthalpy caught it sticking 

• Like 1