Tour of Love 2, pre-nats'15 coromandel area

Steelies

Hey all,

keen to do a little tour of the coromandel area before nats this year, as last years tour of love was SO choice.

aside from distant childhood memories and stories of sweet doc campgrounds up the west side (west west) i know nothing.

anyone got any suggestions for must-see places, nice spots to wagoneer, and the like?

please fill me with your knowledge meat.

thank you

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

East side are all the well known/touristy beaches, haiha, cathedral, hot water etc etc. All within 30min? drive from coroglen campground. If you don't mind a slight walk there is new chums beach in the north east which is a bit more secluded then the rest (not allowed to develop housing there). Big ass rock you can climb to get amazing views/snaps. Best park up beach i can think of would be buffalo beach in whitianga. huge grassy area, can park right up to the sand. Close to the shops for a feed.

Heaps of other low key beaches others will know.

New Chums - can only do the walk at low tide

qw6vGdu.jpg

View from big ass rock

EzKhlSE.jpg

Buffalo

juIDdMy.jpg

My 2cents/spam

• Like 2

Yo Manu, I'm liking how this is looking. Plus the dude keenness is looking hot. A good way to traverse the Penisular is via the 309 Road. To quote the net "The 309 road is a 22‑kilometre long gravel road between the towns of Coromandel and Whitianga in New Zealand. The 309 winds its way from Coromandel, on the west side of the Coromandel Peninsula, over the ranges to Whitianga, on the eastern side".

Last time we drove through we visited a tasty manuka honey place and picked up a smelly hitchhiker named Martin.

• Like 1

now we're talkin! jeah.

I was thinking of boosting out of Welly the weekend before nats and trying to get to the penisular on monday morning, so whatever those dates are.

anyone can jump in and out as they please

lookin forward to the days closer to nats, spotting familiar OS cars hooning about the place! and maybe a soggy Alex waving his arms at us from a driveway again

heh yeah just givin ya shit CD, this trip is gona burn some serious cash.

• Like 1