Tour of Love 2, pre-nats'15 coromandel area

Steelies

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

never been right up the the pointy end but i hear fletchers bay? and colville/port jackson are pretty sweet in an end of the world way. almost like the barrier (but not quite, nothings quite like the barrier).  roads are gravel  past coromandel town and probably potholes and shitty bridges etc. though.  driving a lowlow car there would be the equivalent of driving a jetboat up a river with 50mm of water in it type thing. gotta get the line perfect, keep up it and dont stop even when you can hear you are eating rocks.

Yeah fletcher bay and port jackson are legit but def not low car friendly, fletcher bay is a struggle for some modern regular height cars too, seen many a wrecked bumper on a rental there due to the fords.

Definately recommend taking in both sides of the peninsula though, and if you can get north of colville on the west definately do it, some lush rocky beaches in contrast to the sand on the east

My MR2 only just made it to port Jackson and it's not low.

My recommendation is to stick to the sealed roads. Start at Thames and wiggle your way up to Coromandel town - this is where it starts getting awesome. From there over towards whitianga is great and the road/scenery/plant life is the best NZ has on offer. Carry on down to whitianga and meet us there for Nats.

Alternatively, start at Waihi and go all the way up the east side, through whangamata, tairua and whitianga then do the reverse of what i just said, finishing in Thames to meet the crew on their way over from trackday.

IIRC its sealed to colville and up to where the road forks to go to left to port jackson and right to port charles, but iirc both directions from there is gravel (cant remember about the port charles rd)

Yeah port jacksons not too hard to get to compared to fletcher bay, but definitely take Markku's advice there

Coromandel over to whangapoua (where you walk to head to new chums) is a lovely bit of road with nice twistys and elevation changes (all sealed)