Tour of Love 2, pre-nats'15 coromandel area

Steelies

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember much from when I have been there. I remember seeing tourist boobs at Cathedral Cove, Hahei camp ground was sweet after school term starts and was shithouse before (think hoards of campers equipped with fridges, tv's and all kinds of non camping stuff taking up every square inch of their tent site), Whitianga was ok, buying avocados and fruit from unattended roadside stalls is legit and getting tanked in the shade after a day in the sun is one of lifes pleasures

• Like 4

Ive driven the road over to Otama (and then further on to Opito Bay) plenty of times. Ther eis only a small section of gravel road to get to Otama, and then another logner bit if you want to go further.

Is a pretty standard gravel road, so would be OK for most cars that arnt super boned. (All going to plan my car will be one of the lower ones so Ill eat my hat if it turns out to be shit haha)

• Like 1

Ive driven the road over to Otama (and then further on to Opito Bay) plenty of times. Ther eis only a small section of gravel road to get to Otama, and then another logner bit if you want to go further.

Is a pretty standard gravel road, so would be OK for most cars that arnt super boned. (All going to plan my car will be one of the lower ones so Ill eat my hat if it turns out to be shit haha)

the only problem is when the "locals" make their own speed bumps in the gravel to slow people down - its normally at the bend on the eastern end of Otama before you go up and over to opito, they always get told off over summer and its normally filled in again by Feb

/it wasnt there at all last year though

• 2 weeks later...

Been working through most of the holiday so far to save up some extra cash. Plan is to build a teardrop trailer before Nats so i can go on the tour of love!

Whats the tour of love likely to be like? Action packed with hikes to the tallest mountains and kayaking to never before seen places, or just drinking beer and eating bacon at a different camp site/beach each night?

whatever takes your fancy really. i'm picturing days full of driving and seeking scenic spots for the aforementioned booze and smallgoods consumption, checking out the pretty surroundings etc. i'll have an awkward car full of everything with next to no locking ability and will be suitably paranoid about leaving it unattended for any great length of time.

• Like 3