For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to butt heads with someone, who dedicates a lot of time to answer a million questions to do with certs, then perhaps just don't post. Thread is for questions, not arguments etc.

Just my uncerted opinion.

Despite being something of a newbee to this MB I get the impression cletus is a big boy who relishes a robust debate can more than well take care of himself.

One of the fundamental cornerstones of the country we live in is the right to hold and express one's opinion. As most know the cert process has a number of "grey areas' that all parties involved struggle with; to suggest that all cert questions have a simple answer is naive, to suggest that one shouldn't question those answers is draconian. 

• Like 2

so.. plastic windows I need to buy a bit to do the rear window on my mx5, the LVV document gives me this:

f) Plastic Windows: fitted to a vehicle may be detailed on an Authority Card

provided the following requirements are met:

(i) The plastic windows are only fitted to the side and/or rear (not the front

screen), and

(ii) The material is of an approved polycarbonate type, being Lexan MR10 or

Cyrolon AR2 or a LVVTA accepted rigid plastic material, and

(iii) They are mounted securely to the vehicle, and

(iv) They comply with the requirements of this Schedule.

so... where do I get the stuff I need at a sharp price, and how do I prove it's the legit material?

cheers

so.. plastic windows I need to buy a bit to do the rear window on my mx5, the LVV document gives me this:

f) Plastic Windows: fitted to a vehicle may be detailed on an Authority Card

provided the following requirements are met:

(i) The plastic windows are only fitted to the side and/or rear (not the front

screen), and

(ii) The material is of an approved polycarbonate type, being Lexan MR10 or

Cyrolon AR2 or a LVVTA accepted rigid plastic material, and

(iii) They are mounted securely to the vehicle, and

(iv) They comply with the requirements of this Schedule.

so... where do I get the stuff I need at a sharp price, and how do I prove it's the legit material?

cheers

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gif
FW: Plastic glazing

Each piece of plastic glazing needs to be marked by the glazier. I suggest “ANSI-Z26.1-1983” is engraved on.

Here are the makes of glazing we know to be ok:

Polycarbonates (more flexible than acrylic, better):

Lexan MR series

Cyrolon AR series

Tuffak CM-2

Makrolon AR

Palgard (not Palsun which is not abrasion resistant)

Acrylic:

Lucite SAR series – but this breaks into shards so is not recommended.

The key point is that the glazing needs to be abrasion resistant.

This is the detail from our regulations on this:

15.7 Alternative rigid plastic glazing materials

Side and rear glazing fitted to a low volume vehicle may be made from a rigid plastic material, provided that each piece of glazing:

(a) meets the technical requirements of item 4, test numbers 2,10, 13,16,17,19,20,21,and 24 of the ANSI-Z26.1-1983 Standard, and any subsequent amendments; and

(B) is attached to the vehicle in such a way so as to:

(i) be protected against any sliding abrasion that will affect the driver’s vision through the glazing; and

(ii) where the glazing is fixed, is able to be forcibly removed in the event of an emergency;

and

© is permanently and indelibly marked with the approved LVVTA alternative standard marking.

this is a copy of an email i was sent about it. Also it was mentioned that we should see the windows with the plastic protective stuff on it before its peeled off, so we know its installed the right way round, ie the abrasion resistant side out

the last bit is from the HCM so thats why its different to what you posted

Hiiiii! How long does it normally take for the cert plates to show up? Is 6 weeks a bit slow?

yeah thats a bit long.

I usually tell people 7-10 working days after the car has passed, and that gives me a couple of days to allow for sending it/getting back to the car to fit it

i admit, some take longer than that, but its due to me being busy.

they dont get held up in wellington unless theres an issue with the vehicle or lack of information on the certifiers part.

Have you rung him?

I rang the man, he must have held back the paper work and sent it in a batch. He reckons the plate will be back early next week, and then he's going to send it to the local VTNZ to attach it to the car, and they charge about $30 to stick it on, so that's all gravy.

They let me fit my own plate.