For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still a bollocks rule when swapping something that goes straight in using all factory option parts fitted to factory bolt holes.

It makes perfect sense really, as even though the same chassis may have had different engine options, the supporting components can also differ in strength. Sure you can also swap the driveshaft from the higher spec model if it fits, however it's a blanket rule as trying to determine if a driveshaft is actually up to the spec of the engine output is very hard to do. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Case in point, Camel pretzeled a driveshaft in his 1JZ powered Crown a few years back. Dunno if he had hoops, or even a cert at the time, but the shaft didn't take it.

• Like 5

ever since that info sheet came out, thats how ive been interpreting it-

ie if its a modified shaft, -it has to have a loop

if its had forced induction fitted- needs a loop

if its had engine mods to the factory engine that result in 50% more power- needs a loop

if it has had an engine swap that has resulted in 50% more power- needs a loop

if it has had an engine swap that has resulted in a power increase of LESS than 50%- it DOESNT need a loop.

ie i did a supra the other day, and according to wikipedia, the 1uz that replaced the original 1ggte turbo has less than a 50% increase in power, and the box and driveshaft is OE, so it doesnt need loops.

• Like 3

yes, before that info sheet there was no mention of an actual figure, it was worded as 'significant increase in power' so i guess it came down to judgement of what was 'significant'

even now its a bit of a guess as to how much power something has got if its been modified. ie the supra i used ^ as an example, the 1uz that was put in was stock, complete with shitty log manifolds.

if it had headers and an aftermarket ecu, then i would say it would need loops, as it would probably go over the 50% threshold.

Dyno sheets are a waste of time as far as proving a power increase or lack of, as they are usually supplied by someone who doesnt want to fit loops.

i had a guy once with a big dollar GTR with a T51R on it, that gave me a dyno sheet saying it only had 190kw, hah

• Like 3

Dyno sheets are a waste of time as far as proving a power increase or lack of, as they are usually supplied by someone who doesnt want to fit loops.

Please don't get me wrong; I'm not taking shots at you mate. In fact after browsing your posts and huge contribution to this MB over the last few years I'm rating you as one of the good guys, (to the point where with Neil F retired I'll probably be booking you for my next cert!).

I just have to ask, is that an official LVVTA policy or just a personal opinion?

Just my opinion, and its not set in stone

I have had a few people try that trick when the car obviously makes more power than the dyno sheet says

if i was supplied a dyno sheet that was believable, and the reading matched the output likely from the modifications, then that would be acceptable.

Happens a bit with wheel alignment reports as well, which are required for a vehicle with modified suspension,  although thats easier to check to see if its semi accurate with an angle finder

• Like 1

It wasn't tuned yet (just a rich guestimate on guestimate ve and retarded timing) and the 2.2 was a 86hp dog :wink:

I wonder how many times have hoops been engaged? And how many of those times was it due to dropping a fat skid :-)

That'd be interesting from a man in the know!

Figure you'd hear a uj getting fucked before a driveshaft let go. (just interested, don't go spare ffs)

theres been a few examples we have been shown at training

some in here

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/newsletters_pub/LVVTA_Newsletter_2015_Jan-April.pdf

and here

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/newsletters_pub/LVVTA_Newsletter_2014_%20August-December.pdf

my boss had a fairly serious failure that nearly wrote his hot rod off, this was a number of years ago. he did a big skid over some train tracks and some of the link bars let go, the diff rolled back, this tore the gearbox off the back of the engine, the pinion broke out of the diff still attached to the driveshaft, this all went flying out and was found around 100m away. it damaged both chassis rails, rear suspension, the tray floor, fuel tank, diff was bent, etc.....was a bit of a major. i remember seeing the trans sitting at his house when i was an apprentice, there wasnt much left of it.

and a mate of his had a t bucket that the shaft let go on a full throttle run up the road, blew a big hole in the floor on the passenger side and he had a huge bruise on his arse where it gave him a slap

have heard other stories of them going and causing carnage but dont know how much chinese whispers were involved

• Like 1

Heard a story in the '80s about a rear drive Starlet rally car that somehow dropped the front end of the driveshaft and polevaulted off into the bush. Guess a driveshaft loop would have saved that one.

similar to the 3tgte powered KE70 i knew of. used modified 4k drivehaft and STD 4k diff. suffice to say, was not up to the extra power and result was similar.  had he swapped my 2tg for his oddessy, we would have both won !!

Just my opinion, and its not set in stone

I have had a few people try that trick when the car obviously makes more power than the dyno sheet says

if i was supplied a dyno sheet that was believable, and the reading matched the output likely from the modifications, then that would be acceptable.

Happens a bit with wheel alignment reports as well, which are required for a vehicle with modified suspension,  although thats easier to check to see if its semi accurate with an angle finder

Cheers mate, thanks and respect for the honest reply.

I have a feeling we'll bang heads from time to time on this MB but will maintain a mutual respect. 

The big question has to be;  :wink: when are you going to start a thread on your latest build?

• Like 2

Or just accept Clint as a GC and realise driveshaft loops are not actually a big deal

I agree. I don't understand why it is such a big deal. For the sake of $80 (or $160 if you need two) and a little bit of modification, you could potentially save $1000's of damage.  A driveshaft hoop was the very first thing I did once I got my one piece made up.  So straight forward and simple to do.  (Used BNT kit)

• Like 1

A vehicle is not required to be certified to the Low Volume Vehicle Code, provided that the safe performance of the vehicle is not compromised, where the only modification to the vehicle is the fitting of an engine other than that fitted by the vehicle manufacturer, and that the engine:

(a ) is of the same or less capacity or power output; and

(b ) is of the same configuration; and

(c ) the fuel type is not changed from petrol to diesel or vice-versa; and

(d ) has the same type of fuel induction system; and

(e ) has the same weight, location, and centre of gravity; and

(f  ) is of the same design and casting family of cylinder block and cylinder head(s).

So just to clarify - if changing from carb to EFI, a cert would be required, or in fact if the engine makes more power at all.

In particular, changing from a 4AF (95HP supposedly) to a 4AGE - this would legally need a cert, yes?

• Like 1