• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

well clutches for these things are expensive

everyone in nz was 1030- 1800 ish depending on what kit

i thought id be a clever clogs and look at getting one in oz because they would be common as

it just so happens there was a ford dealership up the road from where i was staying- $3600!

there was a parts place about 2 min further on- $880AU. then i figured i would have to get it back, too heavy to put in suitcase or take in carry on, and i didnt want to get stuck at the airport with something i couldnt get back, so i flagged that idea.

got back, found a place in OZ that ships to nz, kit was $600AU, sweet, sold! didnt think about the next bit enough....

by the time it gets converted to nzd, pay for freight, pay the fee for sending $ to australia, get charged for gst, customs fees, bla bla, it owes me $1010 and i had to fuck around going to get it from the airport because the freight company didnt ring or email me to tell me it has already been here for a week and didnt reply to my email asking where it was.

SO, for all the other falcon owners on here that need the same parts,

the moral of the story is dont be a jew, just go to sterling clutch and brake and pay $1030 for the one that they have in stock.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

raced the ute at drag day, i wasnt sure which car i was going to take until the night before when i remembered this had near a full tank of gas, so i chose this one.

instructions said to do 1000km before abusing it, so i did 76km before drag day, near enough. i figure if you let the clutch out quickly enough, it wont slip= it wont get damaged.

its a tricky thing to get off the line- as previously sharned about, it doesnt have many horsepressures under 3.5k rpm. letting the clutch out at low rpm then flooring it- it bogs down, if you give it too much beans it axle tramps and feels like the diff wants to escape. i dropped the tyre pressure down to 30psi and the quickest run was when it wheelspun through most of 1st gear.

i tried various shift methods and rpms but it went fastest when i just left the throttle pinned to the floor and shifted when it hit the limiter- the rev limit is a bit different, i think it shuts the throttle for a bit instead of cutting spark

and after all that the best i got out of it was 14.8@98, which is slower than my VG with the no turbo engine, ha.

does good skids though

• Like 5

it did go faster after i dumped the tools and spare, but i also lowered the tyre pressures at the same time so it was probably more that. I didnt bother at first because they weigh around 1800kg anyway, but after a couple of 15.0 runs i thought i had to do something to try and get it in the 14s at least

i think even if it had traction it would probably still only do mid-low 14s, the mph was fairly consistent around 96-98 which is a good indicator of how much power it has.

the vg has less traction problems and runs 14.2 at the same mph

i wont be doing anything more to improve its dragstrip performance, that effort is better aimed at other things.

goal is to get into 11s in the brown valiant

• Like 5