Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Looking at hose clamps for my radiator hoses.

What is the OS hive minds opinion of T bolt clamps, versus standard style screw driver hose clamps? 

I guess anything is better than the wire hose clips used by the factory. 

What does everyone reckon?

Factory wouldn't use shit clips.

• Like 3

I just have screw on ones on the project as it's what I had in the garage. If the pressure in the system is enough to blow those off I probably have bigger problems. That's my theory anyway. The other car still has all of these on it: 

s-l500.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Looking at hose clamps for my radiator hoses.

What is the OS hive minds opinion of T bolt clamps, versus standard style screw driver hose clamps? 

I guess anything is better than the wire hose clips used by the factory. 

What does everyone reckon?

personally would just run standard screw driver style clamps but the ones with no holes in them as it bites into the hose. can buy black ones too. i personally like zebra brand ones from wurth. And can't really overtighten the item as the clamp just strips too  

have seen T bolt style clamps on standard rubber radiator hoses cut the hose on the edge of the clamp causing them to leak but that could be because they were overtighten or that brand were sharp on the edge. but personally think they can be quite bulky looking.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bling said:

I just have screw on ones on the project as it's what I had in the garage. If the pressure in the system is enough to blow those off I probably have bigger problems. That's my theory anyway. The other car still has all of these on it: 

s-l500.jpg

these clamps are a cheap and simple and quick clamp to use when in a production line. which is why they are used 

but are more of a single use clamp as once they have been opened and closed a few times can cannot provide enough clamp pressure to stop coolant seeping past.

And they can be tricky to get off or move and are good for making you bleed or flying across the room.    

• Like 1

On 31/08/2022 at 20:32, SOHC said:

Witch way wound would one fit this hub seal? It dosnt have a spring and is totaly different to the old ones

20220831_130110.jpg

looks like that side would be the outside. and the other side would press into the hub. hub and spindle setup im guessing?

as i cant see any other way the seal would be retained to the hub

most style seals ive used like that have a steel other flange and bottom steel ring to press into a hub. but the photo you put up doesn't look like its a steel ring to press in  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, piazzanoob said:

looks like that side would be the outside. and the other side would press into the hub. hub and spindle setup im guessing?

as i cant see any other way the seal would be retained to the hub

most style seals ive used like that have a steel other flange and bottom steel ring to press into a hub. but the photo you put up doesn't look like its a steel ring to press in  

Thats the way I ended up fitting it, it slides down the stub and that steel plate is just a shield, I tried fitting it the other way with the hub packed with grease and some oozed out.

10 hours ago, piazzanoob said:

these clamps are a cheap and simple and quick clamp to use when in a production line. which is why they are used 

but are more of a single use clamp as once they have been opened and closed a few times can cannot provide enough clamp pressure to stop coolant seeping past.

And they can be tricky to get off or move and are good for making you bleed or flying across the room.    

I believe they also have the added benefit of keeping a nice constant tension over a wide range of temps and pressures, instead of cutting into the hose as it expands. 

Just because they're cheap, quick and factory, doesn't mean they're shit. 

• Like 5