Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent the day digging... Pretty much all the Alfa Touring Cars were solid mounted. 

Them using super aggressive 2 way LSDs pretty much convinced me to lock my diff. So with that in mind, I feel like I'm going to start with Solid Mounts. If that ends up being a negative step then I will pour my own Polyurethane Mounts.

• Like 1

Just now, Yowzer said:

Chuck the balance shafts back in and you'll be fine

Technically they are still in the engine. They're just no longer rotating. 

Engines in dire need of a birthday. Just checked the Oil Catch Can and it's full. Engine must be breathing pretty heavily. 

What I've learnt in Racecars is if everyone tells you it's a bad idea, it's generally a good idea.

• Like 2

Ok here’s a question - will a petrol engine fire on engine start ether with no spark ? ??? Can it give a chuff just from compression ? 

attempting to wire something that has many ways to put the leads on coil pack don’t seem to have visible spark at plugs but have had a couple chuffs when I put ether down the throttle 

It might give you a clack, like a detonation event but even that's unlikely on a cold engine. 

In my experience, you won't even get a kick with no spark and engine start. Just a continuously rotating engine.

You should be able to pull a plug, and earth it and visually watch the plug spark cross the gap.

Just now, RUNAMUCK said:

Are these any good?

I scored it for nix from a friend after she cleaned out her dads garage. (Along with a box of stop smoke/stop leak/ etc.etc)

Screenshot_20200416-143602_Gallery.jpg

Really handy where specific torques need to be set and then a locknut secured like landrover diesel cambelt tensioners.

• Like 3