Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, 87creepin said:

If one were to purchase “street-friendly” semi slicks like the advan ad08r, wouldn’t their grip be quite bad because semi slicks are supposed to be warmed up and then they perform well? 

and they last for a few heat cycles right?

I dailied Dunlop 02g and 03g on my Evo, it was fine. Even in the wet a semi slick is fine unless you are doing dumb shit in standing water.. 

The only disclaimer here is if you are in near ice conditions they can be marginal.

The ad08r has a pretty open pattern to some of the others I have tried so I'd say they'd be fine..

• Like 1

When I was living out in Canty country I was amazed at some of the camber fuckups and alignment disasters you'd see on the open road. Helped that most of the roads were straight and flat. Followed a latish Commodore one evening and when she pulled over to answer a phone call - unusual in itself - I stopped to talk to her. Right rear had about 10deg negative and was pointing at the left front. Told her to get her husband to look at it pronto.

No thanks of course.

Truck and trailers you'd see with the back end of the trailer on the verge and the cab out on the centerline.

• Sad 2

Okay hose stretchers/OS brains trust,

On my datsun, ive got a 90° sillycorn reducer elbow (70mm-65mm) from the TB to the MAF. (Space is at a premium on this install) however i need to plumb two hoses into this. One goes to the rocker cover/crankcsse ventilation, and the other to the IACV. They both need to be supplied air which has passed through the MAF otherwise the ecu cant add the necessary fuel to make it run right. 

Does any kind of fitting exist which to attach to the elbow, whuch i could plug the hoses into? Needs to be 100% air tight, otherwise the engine will get lean/run like a bag of dicks.

Absolute last resort would be get a 90° aluminium bend, and have a larger collar welded onto the end that meets the TB. But two joiners will look gammy as fuck. 

Pics for fred.

Something like the last pic, only 14-16mm.

Screenshot_20240211-113028_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240211-113050_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240211-114648_Adblock Browser.jpg

That would work. That and some rtv. Just put it underneath/inconspicuous angle to not let anyone see said grossness. 

i have a map sensor I just drilled a small hole for an interference fit and rtv’d and it’s worked fine. 

3 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

The one pictured is like 3mm.

Does anyone know what the keywords are to search for the right thing?

On AliExpress keywords are a bit rubbish (I think) due to the translation going on. Have you tried an image search?

Screenshot_20240211-130434.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cletus said:

Bingo!

Give the man a cigar! 

I knew what i needed would exist. The OS hive mind once again comes to the rescue.

• Like 3

What’s the affordable go-to for 5x114.3 and a big-ish brake upgrade nowadays? 

must be a crashed mid 2000s Subaru wrx sti, Turners has one currently. 

are there any cheap-ish Toyotas that came with big brakes and 5x114.3? 

On 02/01/2024 at 23:24, kws said:

Going from your thread, id be more worried about the Aliexpress steering wheel than the boss kit. Last one I had you could bend the rim just by looking in its direction. Its still on my garage wall as a tribute to the gods of Chinese knockoffs.

I had to dig this up because kinda relevant. Spotted in a Donut video about cheap anti-theft measures and they cut a knock-off Nardi wheel to get one of the locks off. This is what is inside the rim of it, "more than 90% foam"

This video seems to show its a common thing on cheap wheels, including the spokes being attached to the rim via small indents on the rim, not welds. 

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 6.38.27 PM.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My accessories  don't agree with 10,000rpm's,    trying to track down a big pulley for my p/s pump. needs to be bigger than 150mm diameter.  If anyone have a spare moment,  to do some measuring on what you got, would be choice.   Ideally something with a 4 rib  belt.    Beams 3sge looks to be 4 rib  and big ish looking, but cant find any measurements.