Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 23:41, Willdat? said:

New second hand 5 speed gearbox in little bro's 180SX won't select 1st or 2nd - all other gears are fine. Both shifters he has are different and even 1/2" extension bar manually wiggling down the top of the box can't seem to select them. Anything obvious we're missing? The state of the 'only used for 1 day bro' clutch suggests that seller may have been a little optimistic.

Broken selector fork, pretty easy fix if you can get a replacement and are not afraid to open it up.

• Like 1

Trans cooler question, I'm going to grab one today and hopefully find time to install it as well as flush my trans this weekend.

Question is what's the go wit hte stock one in the radiator, seems to be a lot of arguing over whether it's best to leave it plumbed in or not when fitting an after market cooler.

Seems to be a few schools of thought about it too, some say to go: trans > after-market cooler > stock cooler > trans using the stock in rad cooler as basically a fluid heater/thermostat so the after-market one doesn't "over cool" the ATF/the stock cooler is supposedly super efficient and an external won't cool enough.

Others say to go: trans > stock cooler > after-market cooler > trans using the stock cooler to scrub a bit of heat.

Then there's what I was originally planning on doing: cut and plug the stock lines and just run the new cooler out front, but using the stock cooler to basically act as a thermostat makes sense to me too ha.

On 23/01/2017 at 23:41, Willdat? said:

New second hand 5 speed gearbox in little bro's 180SX won't select 1st or 2nd - all other gears are fine. Both shifters he has are different and even 1/2" extension bar manually wiggling down the top of the box can't seem to select them. Anything obvious we're missing? The state of the 'only used for 1 day bro' clutch suggests that seller may have been a little optimistic.

On 02/02/2017 at 21:27, mjrstar said:

Broken selector fork, pretty easy fix if you can get a replacement and are not afraid to open it up.

What he said. Easy to do once you have done it once or twice. 

I have hoarded *some* gearboxes so I can send you a fork if that's what you need. Will need to take a photo of it as there are more than 2 types of 1st/2nd fork.

YouTube videos will teach you how to open it.

There's 3 in this series. This is an earlier B box, but 99% same to open.

• Like 2

Just now, fletch said:

What he said. Easy to do once you have done it once or twice. 

I have hoarded *some* gearboxes so I can send you a fork if that's what you need. Will need to take a photo of it as there are more than 2 types of 1st/2nd fork.

YouTube videos will teach you how to open it.

There's 3 in this series. This is an earlier B box, but 99% same to open.

Amazing offer! I think my brother is pretty keen on taking this to a disputes tribunal as the seller has been pretty awful. But when he undoubtedly doesn't pay up will be quite cool to have an excuse to open a gearbox up (new experience for me).

Cheers!

So I almost built a sump from 2 sumps and some sheet metal

a passing seagull shat on it to hold it together -pictures coming to design disasters thread soon

got a few pinholes I am sick of chasing - what's a good gooey solution to paint inside and out to help it hold oil???

On 3/02/2017 at 19:15, tortron said:

is there anyplace i can go to get the specific colour electrical wires i want? ideally i could walk in and get various lengths of differently striped wire without having to buy a massive roll of each 

I went to an auto electro shop and got 3 m of blue wite and red

On 04/02/2017 at 01:54, Raizer said:

Trans cooler question, I'm going to grab one today and hopefully find time to install it as well as flush my trans this weekend.

Question is what's the go wit hte stock one in the radiator, seems to be a lot of arguing over whether it's best to leave it plumbed in or not when fitting an after market cooler.

Seems to be a few schools of thought about it too, some say to go: trans > after-market cooler > stock cooler > trans using the stock in rad cooler as basically a fluid heater/thermostat so the after-market one doesn't "over cool" the ATF/the stock cooler is supposedly super efficient and an external won't cool enough.

Others say to go: trans > stock cooler > after-market cooler > trans using the stock cooler to scrub a bit of heat.

Then there's what I was originally planning on doing: cut and plug the stock lines and just run the new cooler out front, but using the stock cooler to basically act as a thermostat makes sense to me too ha.

I deleted my radiator transcooler on my surf, got the big b&m cooler with the fan.. 

Davies Craig instructions say to install them in series with the stock in rad cooler.

/I found there is already a huge cooler installed by the previous owner so took the Davies Craig one back to SCA ha.

Money I saved on the cooler is going towards 18l of Havoline ATF-J and a trans filter kit.

• Like 3

Nah all good, just wanted some opinions.

I have a complete diff plus a good head in stock, I was hoping everyone would say it will be sweet as bro and I won't have to change it.

Changing it means I should do the axle bearings as they have done 270kms also.

• Like 1

On 5 February 2017 at 17:58, Transom said:

So I almost built a sump from 2 sumps and some sheet metal

a passing seagull shat on it to hold it together -pictures coming to design disasters thread soon

got a few pinholes I am sick of chasing - what's a good gooey solution to paint inside and out to help it hold oil???

I used 5 min epoxy for a leak, little bit of fibreglass mat to bridge the gap, held on for over a year until I got around to fix it, just got to get it clean I guess was the trick

7 hours ago, NickJ said:

I used 5 min epoxy for a leak, little bit of fibreglass mat to bridge the gap, held on for over a year until I got around to fix it, just got to get it clean I guess was the trick

I hit it with the zapper some more -down to a couple of weeps no drips but the steel is getting too thin to grind back more 

looking at the por 15 sealing system and cleaners to seal inside and out

On 23/01/2017 at 23:41, Willdat? said:

Is it an auto to manual conversion, or did he kill his old box?

If the latter, what's the fate of the dead one?