Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at a local Super Custom, 1kz, full time 4wd, sub 200k, new radiator but it "uses a little water on long trips".

So yeah likely needs the head done sooner than later, would explain it being cheap too.

Looks like a brand new compete head with gaskets and bolts etc can be had for around $1300 off trademe and even after taking that into account it's still a lot cheaper than any Super Custom on TM ATM, but my question is is it a cunt enough of a job to make it not worth while considering it'll no doubt be a Chinese head?  

/Would rather try to keep my Mitsi going a while longer than tick up a van I can't really afford.

Dunno WTF is up with it now, started fine, went down a steep 100m+ driveway holding second gear, got on the road and gave it some gas, got a loud pop, instant thick oil smoke for a few hundred metres and it's been running rough as fuck sounding like a dying Subaru since.

I've been right over the ignition side of things and can't find anything visually out of order really, massive spark from the coil, timing still bang on 5°, was a bit of shit built up on the terminals in the dizzy cap.

Checked the cambelt to make sure it hadn't jumped a tooth on the timing.

It still feels like an ignition issue really, but with how it seemed to come on instantly throws me a bit.

When Coasting down a hill (engine braking) the throttle is closed, so there is a high vacuum. If your valve stem seals are shot oil gets sucked past them, then when you open the throttle it burns that oil. Sounds like oil and unburnt fuel collected in the exhaust and then ignited, blowing up your muffler. 

Would also be worth checking the PCV valve. With engine running pull it out of the rocker cover, it should be sucking. Put your thumb over the end and you should hear it click closed. 

Supercustom heads arnt too bad to fit but may be a challenge for an amateur. You will need a engine shop to swap over the valves and set the clearances. 

Supercustoms have two radiator. Except the early models had one. You would want to pull them out and get them cleaned out. This can be a pain in the butt job. 

While you are at it you would also want to replace water pump and thermostat for good measure. 

So yeah, the head is only half the cost. 

• Like 1

Valve stem seals are about 6 months old/probably fucked already as it smokes during long amounts of engine braking downhill.

PCV is long gone, I removed it and blocked the manifold port to try combat the smoking during engine braking, since I'd fitted be stem seals I thought it may have been part of the cause.

Am going to go buy a compression tester now, if compression tests OK I'll try new dizzy cap, rotor, leads and plugs.

Failing that it'll finally be time to burn it.

Looking at a 96 Super Custom, has had a brand new upper radiator and water pump fitted less than 6 months ago, the seller is claiming it's the lower rad using the water but admits it's possible the head is the problem.

Was looking at these kits

http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/listing.aspx?id=1239724496&/listing?rfm=1

Have done a couple diesel heads before, but that was many years back and these things look to have a lot more going on than an early Pajero 4D56 or Hilux L engine.

The valve is still in the cam cover, nothing's come out of it but I'd assume it won't open without vacuum.

The other breather at the back of the cam cover is still plumbed into the intake before the carb, doesn't look too oily inside.

SCA is out of compression testers, repco is a joke price wise, going to see if I can borrow one from somewhere.

/Wouldn't have expected instant burnt valve etc though and it still feels ignition related to me.