si

For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

So I have a ke20 with a leaf spring rear. It has 50mm blocks and I’m going to reset the leafs so it will have 70mm drop over all. I will only have about 25mm travel between the diff and the bumpstop in the driveshaft tunnel. Will this fail cert?

Possibly not helpful, but I went through cert with reset leaves and blocks and general requirements (not saying this is explicit or holds true with all inspectors, but its what he told me he needed to see) was not on bumps with passengers in car, reasonable car to road clearance when on bumps (from memory he said 50mm), and not flat/cut down bumps (i.e. they needed to have some give).  i was about 100 mm drop all up though. In the end I went from 2" to 1" blocks and some less cut down bump stops..

• Like 1

To quote Clint

40mm bump 40mm droop from ride height. 

Depending on the car and suspension and bumpstop type,  can include some bumpstop compression in that figure 

So that is probably a good place to start.

For context, start reading here:

https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/17433-for-questions-regarding-wofscertsnumber-plates/page/327/

While there are some rules with little leeway, your best bet is to touch base with the certifier too. Saves going down the wrong track.

• Like 1

@cletus @KKtrips I heard/read/dreamt that engine mounts attached to chassis require a plate welded to chassis (larger that actual mount) then mount welded to that. Did I actually dream that? If so how thick does the plate need to be, and recommendation of wall thickness for the actual mount? With the Ford's mounts being further back than the Holden the mounts will be where the chassis bends, so will need to be made of formed plate. Or can I use a large round mount like so and have a flat plate mount

images (13).jpeg

A mount attached to the side of a chassis rail has to span the whole height of the rail

So if your chassis is RHS you cant butt weld a flat plate to half way down the rail as it will cause cracks.  So you could either make gussets that go full height of the rail, or weld a reinforcing plate on first which I'm picking is what you are talking about 

@cletusThanks mate. I'm picking I will go with a 3mm reinforcing plate (if thick enough) then use a mount similar to pictured above. Sound above board? Reason I'm asking here is our certifier up here is super unhelpful. Just a dick to deal with..... More interested in truck trailers and towbars

Has anyone here had any issues having Hardrace suspension bits certified? I have had them on the car for a while with no issues just want to get it all legal beagle. 

44 minutes ago, jono007 said:

Has anyone here had any issues having Hardrace suspension bits certified? I have had them on the car for a while with no issues just want to get it all legal beagle.

Are they a loaded arm and do they use a spherical rod end?

Yeah the rear lower arms are a spherical end and the front camber arms are just a hardened rubber.

A silly question - is there a reason why rego sticker is bottom left of the screen and wof top right? Or is it just random?

The reason I ask is I want to put overlay on the top of the screen but if I do that the wof sticker will have to come further down from the top right corner.

I'd rather have wof sticker out of line of sight, along the bottom corner of the screen etc.

• Like 1

I believe there's words to the effect of they must be mounted as close as practical to those corners.

Splitscreen Morrie has always had wof at bottom right, they keep sticking it back on there without asking.

Top right would be directly in your vision

• Like 2

WOF needs to be on the drivers side. It does not have to be at the top.

Affixing the WoF label

The WoF label must be affixed by the vehicle inspector or a delegated employee of the inspecting organisation in one of the following positions:

a) if the vehicle is fitted with a windscreen:

i. to the inside of the windscreen facing outwards on the same side as the steering wheel, and

ii. as close as possible to the edge of the windscreen where it is clearly visible from the outside and is not obscured by an anti-glare band or sticker

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/introduction/inspection-and-certification-process/issuing-the-wof-or-cof-label-evidence-of-vehicle-inspection

• Like 3

You would think with technology these days the stickers would be redundant. 

With bike wofs is it a requirement to have 2 rear view mirrors or do you just need a right side one? 

Google: virm motorbike mirrors

Then go to the virm link which points to motorcycles, then on that link hit the legislation tab. 

You'd think with technology these days it would be easier to just do a quick google for such basic questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Bling said:

Google: virm motorbike mirrors

Then go to the virm link which points to motorcycles, then on that link hit the legislation tab. 

You'd think with technology these days it would be easier to just do a quick google for such basic questions.

So what's the answer? I don't have google