For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

3 hours ago, ajg193 said:

I immediately pointed out that the nut holding the lower control arm to the car was loose (and had been loose since before Andrew got the car). How the inspector could possibly have missed it is beyond my comprehension.

I might be missing something, but if this was a known to be loose from before current ownership, why wasn't it fixed when first noticed? Rolling around with loose suspension doesn't sound like a good idea. Yeah should be picked up, but seems like it was known about so should have been sorted before check really. Devils advocate etc. If it was purely just from driving it and noticing a knock / wobble, always worth a look with an unknown car history.

• Like 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Bling said:

I might be missing something, but if this was a known to be loose from before current ownership, why wasn't it fixed when first noticed? Rolling around with loose suspension doesn't sound like a good idea. Yeah should be picked up, but seems like it was known about so should have been sorted before check really. Devils advocate etc. If it was purely just from driving it and noticing a knock / wobble, always worth a look with an unknown car history.

Wasn't known loose but we hadn't been near that bolt so was therefore loose for a while.

I wouldn't ever drive with loose or knocking suspension.

Anyway, here is what it looks like after Andrew cleaned the area that is worse than the Titanic

IMG_20231003_180844681.thumb.jpg.4e5b20ba57d9a68a1a9b946c73327136.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fletch said:

Sounds like that's always been there from factory.

Especially since it's the same colour and covered in road grime and what not from many years of driving etc

I was thinking of using rule of 'eye appeal is half the battle'.

Unfortunately since i plan on stripping and repainting the underside i can't hide it with shit.

2 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Wasn't known loose but we hadn't been near that bolt so was therefore loose for a while.

I wouldn't ever drive with loose or knocking suspension.

Anyway, here is what it looks like after Andrew cleaned the area that is worse than the Titanic

IMG_20231003_180844681.thumb.jpg.4e5b20ba57d9a68a1a9b946c73327136.jpg

Missed a spot.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, kws said:

Does anyone here know/work with compliance for Japanese imports, specifically regarding rust repairs? Im importing a car that's been flagged for rust, which in my eyes is fairly minor surface rust, but I'm being told it will need massive amounts of work, engine pulled out etc and i should just resell the car in Japan and take the loss. Am I being taken for a ride, or is this normal?

Photos attached are the worst of the rust, from the photos I've been provided.

HA36S-884942_4.jpeg

HA36S-884942_5.jpeg

HA36S-884942_6.jpeg

HA36S-884942_7.jpeg

HA36S-884942_35.jpeg

HA36S-884942_39.jpeg

Your best bet would be to engage a repair certifier to look over it as you will need one regardless at some stage. They charge by the hour so worst case it'l cost you maybe a few hundy tops to have a definitive answer about what they would like repaired and how they would like it done. 

If you want to proceed from there they can start a file on it. 

• Like 1

On 05/10/2023 at 21:27, kws said:

Does anyone here know/work with compliance for Japanese imports, specifically regarding rust repairs? Im importing a car that's been flagged for rust, which in my eyes is fairly minor surface rust, but I'm being told it will need massive amounts of work, engine pulled out etc and i should just resell the car in Japan and take the loss. Am I being taken for a ride, or is this normal?

Photos attached are the worst of the rust, from the photos I've been provided.

HA36S-884942_4.jpeg

HA36S-884942_5.jpeg

HA36S-884942_6.jpeg

HA36S-884942_7.jpeg

HA36S-884942_35.jpeg

HA36S-884942_39.jpeg

Yeah sounds pretty standard.

Normally  we'll sandblast stuff like that because  that's what the repair certifies want to see these days.

Compliance has got pretty brutal with surface and light rust lately.

What's the car? And is it worth doing?

7 hours ago, JustHarry said:

Yeah sounds pretty standard.

Normally  we'll sandblast stuff like that because  that's what the repair certifies want to see these days.

Compliance has got pretty brutal with surface and light rust lately.

What's the car? And is it worth doing?

Thanks for the advice. I'm just pissed off i was reassured before bidding that it would be fine with a sandblast and underseal, and then once i won it they started coming back saying its $$$$$++++ instead, without anyone actually looking at it and me having to take their word for it.

Regardless, from what I'm hearing it sounds like NZTA is being a nightmare with rust, especially if its been flagged (which it has), so have rejected the car and sending it back to auction in japan. Absolutely gutted, but it is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 05/10/2023 at 23:22, Unclejake said:

Howdy brains trust: Is it legit to get steel automotive wheels galvanised?

I see no problem with this. Even less of a problem on the Chathams.

PS - I'm sure you already know this but if you galv your wheels, re-torque them daily for a the first week or until you they no longer move when you re-torque them (whichever is longer).
The galv under the wheel nut will wear away as the wheels and galv coating bed in to each other.

• Thanks 1

Took a customers van in for a wof today. $70 :shock: (we've usually paid $50 at our other garage) 

Cost increase is apparently due to the wof sticker prices jumping from around $480 to close to $1100 for, iirc, I think 7 packs of 30 stickers. Don't quote me on the figures as I've forgotten already but yeah - huge increase.  From now on wof/cof testers entering the system don't have to pay the $1000 'registration' (or test fee) - this price is now absorbed by the wof sticker price. 

Quite a few other changes going on too. Looks like lvvta pricing structure will change too? 

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/about-us/consultations/archive/regulatory-funding-and-fees-consultation/proposal-6-changes-to-fees-and-charges-for-motor-vehicle-certifier-activities/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Took a customers van in for a wof today. $70 :shock: (we've usually paid $50 at our other garage) 

Cost increase is apparently due to the wof sticker prices jumping from around $480 to close to $1100 for, iirc, I think 7 packs of 30 stickers. Don't quote me on the figures as I've forgotten already but yeah - huge increase.  From now on wof/cof testers entering the system don't have to pay the $1000 'registration' (or test fee) - this price is now absorbed by the wof sticker price. 

Quite a few other changes going on too. Looks like lvvta pricing structure will change too? 

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/about-us/consultations/archive/regulatory-funding-and-fees-consultation/proposal-6-changes-to-fees-and-charges-for-motor-vehicle-certifier-activities/

yeah was talking to repair certifier last week and he was complaining about the fees for those going up massively too.

30 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Wof sticker going from $2 to $5 somehow makes wof go up $20?

Are there other fees they have to pay for entering a wof in the system? (I've heard rumours it is like $40, which would make it hard to survive as wof inspector)