For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Legality of side-exit exhausts? LVVTA guidelines say the exhaust can't terminate underneath the passenger compartment. Does this mean as long as the exit is outside the sill pinch weld then its fine? I had thought I had read somewhere that it has to be rearward of opening windows but can't see that anywhere now I look. 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah thats ond of the worst "old wives tales" of the cert world, it might be an australian thing where it has to exit 12 inches past the last opening window or something like that. Its never been an actual rule here

CCM= 

Screenshot_20230308_235038_Samsung Notes.jpg

• Thanks 2

Sorry if this has been asked before.. Can someone please confirm the order of things when it comes to getting a US car complied. I feel I will need to employ the services of a Repair Certifier so not sure where that fits, whether before or after a trip to VTNZ. Just looking for a real basic list like this:

1. Take car to VTNZ to get VIN issued and attached

2. Take car away & to Repair Certifier for an initial check & what needs doing & by who

3. Take car back to VTNZ for compliance check once repairs done & signed off

4. Take car away to sort failed issues

5. Return with car for recheck & sign off

I also want to sandblast all the underside, can I do this & seal/paint it before going to VTNZ/Repair Certifier or will they think I'm trying to hide something & ask me to do it again

56 minutes ago, j.e.d. said:

I also want to sandblast all the underside, can I do this & seal/paint it before going to VTNZ/Repair Certifier or will they think I'm trying to hide something & ask me to do it again

Last car I re-vinned the VTNZ guy made me strip off the underseal to prove I'd fixed some rust properly.

But he was a cunt

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, j.e.d. said:

Sorry if this has been asked before.. Can someone please confirm the order of things when it comes to getting a US car complied. I feel I will need to employ the services of a Repair Certifier so not sure where that fits, whether before or after a trip to VTNZ. Just looking for a real basic list like this:

1. Take car to VTNZ to get VIN issued and attached

2. Take car away & to Repair Certifier for an initial check & what needs doing & by who

3. Take car back to VTNZ for compliance check once repairs done & signed off

4. Take car away to sort failed issues

5. Return with car for recheck & sign off

This is what I would recommend.  I wouldn't do any repair work until the repair cert guy has had a look 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cletus said:

This is what I would recommend.  I wouldn't do any repair work until the repair cert guy has had a look 

Any recommendations for a Repair Cert guy? Travelling not an issue, or are they mobile?

14 hours ago, cubastreet said:

Probably. Is your chassis in a state? I was mulling an EV conversion but I've heard certs for commercial vehicles are a ballache.

Nah I'm just bored. 

I haven't heard anything about truck mods. I want the path of least resistance. 

On 09/03/2023 at 21:37, j.e.d. said:

Any recommendations for a Repair Cert guy? Travelling not an issue, or are they mobile?

Duncan Morrison is the only guy ive had much to to do with recently

Or Bob Kistemaker but im not sure if hes still doing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cletus said:

Duncan Morrison is the only guy ive had much to to do with recently

Or Bob Kistemaker but im not sure if hes still doing it. 

Hope Bob is still....The RX3 was inspected by him prior to repairs and checked post repairs  (before i bought) and had to take back to him once its back together for final sign off......Talked to him August 2020 when i bought the car and he was ok then but that was 2.5 years ago...

• Like 1

Look your car up on amayama.com check diagrams etc 

Will list parts like that, so that should tell you if there was one or someone is smoking the good stuff. Print off the diagram if it shows none from factory. Then start using someone else for WOF's.

Was it the same guy? If there is nothing listed there, then i'd be pretty confident it never existed. If you ask @GuyWithAviators nicely he might be able to check the system to see if that part was ever available for your car. 

I'd just take it elsewhere for future WOF checks personally.

My Corolla looks to have them installed below the master cylinder. Look more complicated than plain tees anyway. My only experience with bias valves is on more modern cars and having to clean them out. 

I don't know exactly which diagrams will match to your car, but a quick looks suggests there is a load sensing proportioning valve? Which appears to be on the diff and something installed below the brake booster. Like I say though, only guessing off YN130. And depending on spec i'm sure they can vary too.

11 hours ago, Kerry-TGI said:

One of the things on my last wof for 1986 hilux was that the bias valve was missing for the rear brakes, wof guy said someone had taken it off. He ended up letting it slide as we were cutting it fine before Christmas break, but it's on the list he gave me for the next wof.

Doesn't seem to be any evidence one was ever there, there's a small bracket holding the brake lines to the back of the diff, my mates 90 Hilux (next generation) has drum brakes also and looks exactly the same. No bias valve just a little bracket in the center.

Is it just really common for these to be taken off or did it maybe not have one from factory?

I'm no expert but this is what I found for LN56-QD3 (LN56 0077883) which I think is your model. Showing part (1) should be a prop. valve on a bracket on the diff. 

image.png.c58043bb82cd377191e6a4e6357b131e.png

Some hiluxs had an Lspv, some didn't. Some systems are just proportioned through the master cyl sizing.

If he drove it, and the rear locked up, or he had it on rollers and the rear was too harsh and you can't adjust it out at the drums, then you'll have to fit a prop valve to dial it them in.

If brakes are fine without, nicely balanced front to back, then hes just being a retard.

• Like 3

On 20/03/2023 at 20:32, Kerry-TGI said:

One of the things on my last wof for 1986 hilux was that the bias valve was missing for the rear brakes, wof guy said someone had taken it off. He ended up letting it slide as we were cutting it fine before Christmas break, but it's on the list he gave me for the next wof.

Doesn't seem to be any evidence one was ever there, there's a small bracket holding the brake lines to the back of the diff, my mates 90 Hilux (next generation) has drum brakes also and looks exactly the same. No bias valve just a little bracket in the center.

Is it just really common for these to be taken off or did it maybe not have one from factory?

My brother's NZ new SR5 looked like it never had one. It was always very quick to lock the rears. We looked at putting on a spare off a Surf he wrecked, but never got around to it. Every WOF was a ballache with it, mostly left-to-right balance in the rear. He never got knocked back on the lack of load bias though