Jump to content

dmulally

Members
  • Posts

    377
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About dmulally

  • Birthday 20/01/1979

Converted

  • Local Area
    Wellington

Recent Profile Visitors

565 profile views

dmulally's Achievements

Advanced Member

Advanced Member (3/5)

1.1k

Reputation

  1. This is the pad for my new shed with the imp for scale.
  2. So I thought I'd have a peak under the skirt on the worst of the panels. Not too bad and I have certainly seen worse. Looks to me like a new patch was welded in and then the bog was applied over the bare metal and left for a period of time for moisture to get in. Should be an easy fix and no welding in this corner thankfully.
  3. Rightio. So the wof bloke (new guy for me but is into old cars and tractors so we didn't stop crapping on) I'm going to try is happy to give it the once over to let me know what he thinks it will need which is good. I might have a look at painting it this weekend but I'll have to poke and prod some of the rust spots first. The bright green is everywhere so I might just paint on that thick sealer type paint inside first.
  4. So as expected the spark plug change fixed the hard starting issue. There is still some hesitation on the throttle which is down to one of a few things in my mind. Either the choke needs to be connected (I haven't really driven it that far but it does seem to get better the more it drives), there is a blockage in the carb, or the car just needs to stretch it's legs and blow off some cobwebs. In prepping for a pre-wof I found a light out (you can see it in the first pic of this thread) so raided my stash and went around the car putting in new lights. I changed my s-type bulbs to LED and had a few left over so changed the dash globes for them. Talk about a difference! I still need new gauges however so I'll sort out the dash properly when I get a chance. The fake radiator grill comes off this week so I'll likely get started on prepping for a quick and nasty paint job then. Hmmm pics aren't working so I'll put them up when it works for me.
  5. More for my own reference: 1: 175psi 2: 185psi 3: 185psi 4: 180psi
  6. I'll try and book it in for a pre wof inspection and let that dictate the project. Hopefully not too much as I have a shedload of work to do on the Chev this year. There is some rust in the wings of the Imp which hopefully isn't all bog and it is in desperate need of a repaint. I'll probably keep it green but just a little more subtle. It does have a hard starting issue which after pulling a plug seems a likely culprit. Hopefully an easy fix. There is a little hesitation issue when I put my foot down I'm hoping is related to the plugs but I'll soon find out when I do the switcharoo. Might do a compression test at the same time. Being an imp I won't take it on any decent drives on a warm day until I have a temp gauge installed. I'm also going to give Silverdale radiators a buzz this week for an auxiliary front radiator as it already has the plumbing in place. One of the worst jobs I have ever done on any car was feeding those through the body so might as well make the most of it.
  7. This followed me home. It's a 1965 mk1 and reasonably stock. Plan will be to get it back onto the road and then upgrade bits and bobs here and there until the engine kicks a leg out of bed and then see how I feel.
  8. Funny you mentioned that. The 3 phase arc welders are a few hundred bucks if that. Good thinking. Looking forward to getting a big boy compressor too.
  9. I'm about to get 3 phase put into my presently off grid shed. Is it worth making the jump to a three phase welder? I have a 200amp Cebora MIG welder now that I very very rarely run more than half strength via a 10kva generator. But I do have a bulldozer on the to do list which will take some grunt to weld up some decent cracks.
  10. I don't go to anybody else. I park down the street so he can't see me pulling up and hide.
  11. Nothing really. All were good points and tbh I knew that it would get pinged on the smoke and it isn't as if smokey engines fix themselves. Old mate who did it was really helpful and he wasn't being a dick at all. Can't say the same for VTNZ. It's just that Certifier/LVV have a long list. VTNZ had a long list. Now when I think I'm finally done and dusted, I have yet another long list. Each list take around 12 months to complete and cost between 10-20k. I might just sell it as a project and put it down to tuition fees.
  12. Big fat fail sadly. The big cloud upon start up was enough to ping it even though it does go away eventually. Not to mention the 50 other things that LVV and VTNZ passed that he has decided they shouldn't have. Looks like the eternal project remains what it is. Why oh why did I have to move when I already had a great wof guy... I really need a less stressful hobby than old cars.
  13. Nah. It's only a little smoke and isn't using any oil noticeably. After years of it being a project I'm happy for it to just work. When it finally throws a leg out of bed it'll be a good excuse to put in a diesel truck engine like I've always wanted to do. I'm just sick of it being a project. Plus whilst I'm building a cabin it it better than a box trailer.
  14. Ta. It's always a bit nervy going to a new wof place after leaving an area where the wof guy was really helpful. Pity it is a 3 hour journey back or I'd go back there. If anybody knows an old car WOF specialist in the South Wairarapa please shoot me a message.
×
×
  • Create New...