For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Thanks mate.

Turns out the hobby car manual is actually pretty good (lol)...I wish I'd bought it earlier (being able to spend 10$ per relevant chapter makes it much easier!!!)

I was even more impressed to see things like suggested tube and heim joint sizes... Really really important for someone like myself who genuinely has no clue and tends to oversize everything. 

• Like 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@flyingbrick I bought a couple of chapters last night too, quite impressed with it really. As I need to lengthen the pushrod it looks like my only option aside from squeezing an OE booster back in (which will prevent the rocker cover being removed/ may not even actually fit ) is to have an engineer turn up a 1 piece pushrod. Provided the pushrod is one piece, constructed from suitable material and its diameter is appropriate to it's length I think this will be acceptable? First time I've dealt with this sort of thing so its all a bit confusing.

• Like 1

I haven't read the braking section so can't comment except to say that you will need to ensure that the pushrod can actually be removed from your master cylinder/booster/whatever. I cannot exactly remember but I'm sure on mine it's all crimped in there and the only way to remove it is complete destruction 

The cat in my daily has gone bung (rattling around) can I remove it completely?

Car is an 02 VW Golf first reg in NZ in 2007. It already has a spacer on the O2 sensor after the cat as it had started to throw cat efficiency codes funnily enough.

Going by an AA post, it should be ok as only vehicles manufactured after 1990 and first reg in NZ after 1 May 2010 are required to have them.

Anyone else confirm this?

33 minutes ago, kicker said:

Cool. Yeah, thought about gutting it, probably would if I was doing it myself but just gonna get a shop to do it.

Are cats still worth a bit at the metal recyclers because of the platinum in them....?

1 hour ago, kicker said:

The cat in my daily has gone bung (rattling around) can I remove it completely?

Car is an 02 VW Golf first reg in NZ in 2007. It already has a spacer on the O2 sensor after the cat as it had started to throw cat efficiency codes funnily enough.

Going by an AA post, it should be ok as only vehicles manufactured after 1990 and first reg in NZ after 1 May 2010 are required to have them.

Anyone else confirm this?

Yep that's fine.

Probably better to get a bit of pipe put in, I knocked the guts out of one once and it was a cunt of a job and it made a mess and there's probably stuff you shouldn't breathe in. 

I spoke to a cat scrap bloke the other day and I think he pays 60 $ for a cat.

Might pay for the job even?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SOHC said:

With front raidous rods with welded in ends do they need to be tested?

If you relocate a master cylinder and make a custom brake peddle, it needs to be TAC approved?  

Like factory ford radius rods? Or custom made ones?

Custom pedal doesn't need tac approval, only if it's got an offset crank deal incorporated

2 hours ago, cletus said:

Like factory ford radius rods? Or custom made ones?

Custom pedal doesn't need tac approval, only if it's got an offset crank deal incorporated

Factory ford ones with custom made bungs tig welded in.

I have the underfloor duel master cylinder setup 

55 minutes ago, AllTorque said:

"It is permitted to replace a complete halogen headlamp unit with a complete HID headlamp unit."

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/headlamps

see note 8

I would say they need to easily recognised as being HID lamp units.

Many thanks. That is what I was hoping  

ute has no gear indicator for the auto. Do I need one?

I see the lvvta says a modified car with auto must have something to indicate what gear you are in, I don't see any mention of it under wof requirements.

Does it get ignored because it was modified in 1991? its probably never had one

Won't need one if it was modified prior to the rules.

If it was being certed today then it would, there has been more emphasis on it in the past couple of years due to a wof inspector being killed by a car that had no inhibitor switch or gear indicator, someone started it in gear and it squashed him.

• Like 1