For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's say I was gonna cut the roof off my beetle to turn it into a convertible....

Will I need a cert? Can I just chop it myself/would it need an engineers report on affecting structural rigidity/reinforcing?

Bugs whole body and unbolt from the pan and most of the structure/strength of them is in the center tunnel/backbone thing.....

• Like 1

probably a silly question but here goes.

do I need to hide my welded in patches prior to wof? I have about a dozen patches they have just been ground back and primered. I want to get a wof very shortly and am not keen on trying to bog anything yet. pretty sure ill let the pros do the bog job as it will just look like im hiding rust if I do it.

If they're not in any structural places, you should be fine. If they are you might want to tidy them up a little. If they look legit though then I doubt they'll be too worried, if they look a bit dodgey then they may ask you for some manner of panelbeaters doo-dad.

its just doors at the moment and an inner wheel arch. nothing that's holding the car together.

I think they look pretty legit in my opinion for welds done by my brother 12 bourbons deep. my theory is that you can see that there is steel there so cant be all that bad.

much excite for potential wof!

Let's say I was gonna cut the roof off my beetle to turn it into a convertible....

Will I need a cert? Can I just chop it myself/would it need an engineers report on affecting structural rigidity/reinforcing?

Bugs whole body and unbolt from the pan and most of the structure/strength of them is in the center tunnel/backbone thing.....

This is relevant to my interests.

When is a body panel structural and when is it not?

Specifically I'm talking about my hq ute. Full chassis vehicle.

Thanks.

The panel I'd like to replace is under the rear window so really shouldn't be part of any front or rear impact systems.

I do however believe it may affect the cabs strength in a rollover; I do not wish the replacement piece to be considered structural BUT I could weld in a x of flatbar to remedy this.

Basically, I'd like to remove the ribbed portion and instead bond in a folded and bead rolled piece which sits flush with the rear of the cab and provides me with an internally accessible storage shelf.

Above and below this ribbed panel is a boxed member. These wouldn't be touched.

Hope that made sense

20151201_182215.jpg

• Like 1

Which are better? the spacers with the studs put in them or the spacers that slide over longer studs?

All depends on thickness. Obviously the ones with studs can only be so thin as they need to house the studs and wheel nuts, however they do mean you don't need to fit extra long studs to your hubs.

Slip on spacers need to be fastened to either the wheel or the hub though. I don't know why. I guess so if you take the wheel off it can't accidentally go missing.

All depends on thickness really.

• Like 1

Progress.

Pajero lower control arm bushes.

The question I have is, should I gusset the mount on the cross member? It seems pretty solid already.

Like this, or something?

as mentioned, needs to be boxed. only doing one side, or putting the gusset in the middle would be ok

Needs a cert, can be done, needs to be as strong as it was factory

We can do a torsional twist test on it to prove it is no more wobbly than a stock one.

e4bea64c008b2628b5a31c423fc47e11.jpg

• Like 2

probably a silly question but here goes.

do I need to hide my welded in patches prior to wof? I have about a dozen patches they have just been ground back and primered. I want to get a wof very shortly and am not keen on trying to bog anything yet. pretty sure ill let the pros do the bog job as it will just look like im hiding rust if I do it.

i would leave them un covered

wof fail sheets usually specify repairs must be not covered with filler or underseal at inspection if a car has been failed for rust