si

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Clint,

After doing some research on interwebs for brake upgrades for 240z the most common recipe seems to be hilux 4 pots with a 300zx disc and a spacer to space disc back.

The discs bolt to the back of the hub. Apparently they need a 15mm spacer or some such.

I bought someones old setup off trademe that had some hilux calipers and some unknown disc that has been re drilled to fit the bolt pattern on back of hub (4x102 or something) and have and have had the center machined out to fit over back of hub. And uses a small 8mm spacer. I am not happy with the way this has done as it looks a bit rough.

300zx disc and spacer. If you can imagine this bolting to the back of the 240 hub:

90300zx-brake-Mod.jpg

Is this spacing of the disc legal here?

Is there a requirement for the spacer to be made of certain grade alloy etc?

Would grade of bolts should be used to hold disc to hub. 12.9?

Thanks

Hey Clint,

Digging this up again as i am now at this stage of my project. Only 10 months later.. hah.

Is there a certain grade alloy that these should be made out of?

The LVVTA documentation on wheel spacers (as close as i could find to a brake rotor spacer) says:

© Be manufactured from a solid block of suitable material

Would 5086 Alloy be a "suitable material" ?

Thankses.

Hey Clint,

Digging this up again as i am now at this stage of my project. Only 10 months later.. hah.

Is there a certain grade alloy that these should be made out of?

The LVVTA documentation on wheel spacers (as close as i could find to a brake rotor spacer) says:

© Be manufactured from a solid block of suitable material

Would 5086 Alloy be a "suitable material" ?

Thankses.

Hope so  made mine from alloy but they are only 5mm thick , enough to give some caliper clearance without hitting the steering arm etc

Because Nissan Calipers are massive width wise................

Hi,
I am currently in the process of certifying a Holden Monaro that I have been restoring for the last 20 years.One of the issues that I have to resolve is whether the alloy wheels are suitable for the road.

On the outside face of the wheels is written "CHEVIOT  8JJ x 14 " and the inside of the wheel has "EXPORT /OR OFFROAD USE ONLY". The style of wheel is the Triden style.The wheels were on the car when I bought it and had been in use on the road at the time.  The guy doing the cert is doing his best to help me and  I got this letter from him-

"Checked with LWTA head office about rear wheel rims.They suggest contact Cheviot Industries about them and if we can have a letter from them to say that they are ok for use on roads in NZ and it describes the actual rim we will be able to pass them.If not,sorry, we cannot help you any more."

So I contacted Cheviot industries and this got this reply...

"Thanks you for your email, but the Alloy Wheel business closed in the 90s.  Although we use the name and logo for our Plastic Accessories we manufacture, Alloy wheels are not our area of expertise."

So just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they got around it.

Btw Clint you're a bloody legend.

2tgfge0r.n00.jpg
vgafyctm.mjp.jpg

• Like 2

Build thread ? yeah I will do even though its finished I've got quite a few photos of the build and there were a few challenges.Its got a 308 bored and stroked to 355 ,T5 trans to a 9 inch.

As to grinding it off, didn't know it was there till the cert guy picked up on it.

^no good if you want to run that size of wheel.  If you're doing that then you're best to find the same sized wheel, cert it, then put those ones on, problem with running them could be insurance should something go awry as they'd be unlikely to pay out or accept a claim if your wheels aren't for road use, especially if it's cast into them (as it usually is for race wheels)

The wheels are probably a lightweight version designated for racing with thinner castings. Unfortunately I feel you will struggle to certify them no matter what for these reasons.

A: Cheviot wheels no longer exists and I think you would only have a chance of success if you can find someone originally employed by their design department who can explain the reasoning behind the words being cast in.

(I would try a couple of the older wheelplaces in NZ and see if they have any old geezers with the knowledge and background you want. Elite Wheels in Chch, Rimrite in Palmerston North and Arrow Wheels in Auckland)

B: If you can't get a statement from a wheel manufacturer with a letterhead then no amount of couch jockey opinion is going to help your cause.

C: they now know so erasing it is going to get you nowhere.

Cool wheels though and my gut feeling is they will never be a problem. But certifiers have to cover their ass and if it says "not for highway use" but they make a call based on their "gut feel" in the face of cold hard cast iron facts (or aluminum in this case :) ) then they could be strung up fiercely if you have an accident and it can even remotely be attributed to to a wheel issue.

I believe you can run slotted wheels as long as they are held with the correct shank style wheelnuts. Make a quick call and check with your certifier though. (or wait for Cletus/Clint as he is a certifier and one of the good guys plus he's on our team)