For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

So. I have my doubler plates sorted however the rear feet on my seats rails are completely wrong for my floor pan.

Guessing I can just bend some new feet up out of flatbar, but what are the minimum size requirements of the new foots material?

(I do know any material I use will be far stronger than factory...I'm overkill like that)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there isn't a spec for feets on seats

_  

would depend on how long it is and the design of it and how fat you are. but if its just a couple of _/    

shaped things from the seat rail to the floor then probably 25x8mm flat bar or similar, smaller if you can gusset it, etc

• Like 1

My daily has a factory style battery tray bolted through the plastic box, and though the boot floor. And uses a factory style steel hold down bracket on the holes in each side of the tray.

The previous owner attached said tray to the boot floor with *ahem* fine thread bolts, working as self tappers through the sheet metal of the boot floor. Worked fine untill one day I doorted around a corner at around 50G's, and they pulled through the floor..........

So long as those bolts go through the box and through the floor.

Perhaps Clint can suggest what size washers/doublers to run underneath the floor?

NZDRA rules say 75mmx75mmx3mm for nitrous oxide bottles. I'd say a battery would weigh more than that?

I've just found this in the MSNZ rulebook:

5.5 Batteries: Are defined as either ‘dry cell’ or ‘wet cell’ and shall comply with the following:

(1) For all batteries the live terminal shall be adequately insulated, and

(2) For Series Production vehicles:
(a) Where the battery remains in the original position, the original fixations may be retained, or
(i )Where the battery is moved (from the original location):
(i) It shall be mounted on a flat metal base, and
(ii) Be secured to the bodyshell using at least two(2) insulated metal straps and four(4) bolts of minimum specification of ISO 8.8 M6.

(3) Specifically for ‘wet cell’ batteries relocated in the cockpit the following applies:
(a) The battery shall be secured as per Part One Article 5.5(2)(i ), and
(i ) Shall be contained in a leak-proof box that is vented to the vehicle exterior. 

I like how NZ has this sweet book of rules that we can refer to when modifying cars , and if its a grey area you only have to ask the guy that you're looking at to do the cert to help out. 
I could be completely wrong but in Aus (WA anyway) it seems its all grey area and up to the "engineer" to cert this . 
I was chatting to a guy at work who has a Torana and fitted a 350 to it + other bits and bobs and he's saying its a fucking nightmare , goal posts keep changing over trivial shit .

In short. we are real lucky in NZ that if you want to put a 572CI+Turbo into your vehicle , as long as you can prove it wont rip itself to pieces and can stop and keep the occupants safe... why not?

• Like 5

One of my customers is having trouble getting some kinda hotrod thing certed.  Is using a HG Holden steering column and the shaft is welded from factory.  Any advice?

Should be fine then if he can prove its factory? Maybe the cer guys being over cautious

“A component within a steering system in a low volume vehicle must not be welded except:

a) in the case of a vehicle manufacturer’s original equipment operating in the same application for which it was originally designed; or

B) where a steering component has been modified or custom-manufactured, due to no other practical option being available, in which case...” (various requirements are met, including obtaining written TAC approval).

In addition to this requirement, a side-margin note referring to 7.41 said: “Note that welding is, as a rule, not permitted within any ‘critical’ steering components. Any welding referred to here is restricted to situations where no other option is available.” In the case of steering columns, the shafts are able to be made without welding.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2013_Unsafe_Aftermarket_Steering_Columns.pdf