For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

^this

Spoke to a cert guy about legalities of gearbox swaps (in my case auto to manual), he said if it all bolts ups with no modding of crossmember or drive shaft then all ok and technically you need to keep your original brake pedal too (so if auto that would mean keeping the big special needs pedal they come with),  he'd never seen a car fail a wof on that but if you had a prang and insurance companies started digging they could ping you on it.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guyz/Mr Clint. I've just been reading up on the ol drive shaft loop business, but am not 100% clear on what I need. I've got a Hilux that has had an SR20DET and matching box fitted. The two piece Hilux drive shaft is stock std, but has had the first UJ changed to take the SR spec yoke. The rules say:

A front-engine, rear-wheel drive low volume vehicle that has undergone 
an engine conversion, or has had its factory-fitted engine significantly 
modified, such that a significant increase in power or torque has resulted, 
must be fitted with an effective 360-degree front drive-shaft loop, 
mounted within 150 mm rearward of each front drive-shaft universal. 

From this, i'd say I only need one loop, 150mm back from the front UJ? Is that correct? I've heard many people say you need one at the back by the diff also? Or do I need one after the center hanger bearing UJ also?

CHEERS GUYZ.

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_09-2011_Drive-shaft_Safety_Loop_Requirement_Clarification.pdf

(c) be manufactured from a material specification of not less than:
(i) in the case of flat‐section material, 50 mm x 5 mm (2” x 13/64”); or
(ii) in the case of tubular‐section material, 22 mm x 3.

Hi guyz/Mr Clint. I've just been reading up on the ol drive shaft loop business, but am not 100% clear on what I need. I've got a Hilux that has had an SR20DET and matching box fitted. The two piece Hilux drive shaft is stock std, but has had the first UJ changed to take the SR spec yoke. The rules say:

A front-engine, rear-wheel drive low volume vehicle that has undergone 
an engine conversion, or has had its factory-fitted engine significantly 
modified, such that a significant increase in power or torque has resulted, 
must be fitted with an effective 360-degree front drive-shaft loop, 
mounted within 150 mm rearward of each front drive-shaft universal. 

From this, i'd say I only need one loop, 150mm back from the front UJ? Is that correct? I've heard many people say you need one at the back by the diff also? Or do I need one after the center hanger bearing UJ also?

CHEERS GUYZ.

You buy Al's one by any chance? 

howd you end up with it? lol...saw he had sold it. put 2 an 2 together by the fact your down there and hes just sold

He's been a customer of mine for years. It was pretty cheap, and a bit more interesting than a std lux, so blam, purchased.

I used a bit of 150mm dia steam pipe for my drive shaft hoop, works great.

Yep, cut mine up, ready to go, such an easy way to do it.

• Like 1

I just saw a post on FB where some engineering place in welles did coil over sleeves where they where sitting on a circlip of all things.

Surely that's not legit? Circlips don't have that much spine do they? And where the groove has been machined, the minor diameter is surely creating a weakness in the strut tube no?

Or am I being a sissy?

as mentioned, bilstein does it. have only seen in a non mcpherson strut suspension though. also would be sceptical it could be done on a factory shock housing as they would probably not be thick enough