Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

ive had an exhaust and intake coated by procoat, you could touch the exhaust after thrashing the car. I was impressed by how well it worked tbh. but it was quite expensive

I get terrified of where all the heat that os stopped from radiating into the engine bay goes after these types of treatments. Does it ever fuck anything else from not being able to escape as easily?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it revs quick without any load, probably on the road I wont even notice I think

yeah got the motor back in and ran it a bit on axle stands, we are modifying the fuel tank at the moment so there is a proper return in it then I will take it for a drive. I already regret not taking the crank and flywheel to be dowelled tbh as I was so close to having it apart. I'll just have to wait until it does it again now hahaha

also cut bump stops, not sure if I will notice any difference, and I didnt measure anything so something major might smash into body now instead of bumpstops. who knows what will happen

thats what I mean with mine/all over the show, but its was like that anyway with points and electronic dizzys and single coil setups. when driving its fine/has never concerned me.

this is with microsquirt output going to MSD adaptor box to OG veglia tacho.

I have some Dumb spring positioner controlled pneumatic actuators which are getting old and forgetful now. these control vane style dampers 3 independant 300kw fans to maintain an overall chaimber pressure to within 2mm wg (chaimber is about 5 stories high and quite expensive so i don't want to implode/explode it if possible). control is though HMI via 4-20ma signal to modulate damper position.  rams are running 6 bar and 4inch so capable of ~4000N (see what i did there)

looks like this:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlNCbGnEDv53QCVNxGQPBu23k9UMGTDAPTr9U25m82i_81gT_A0yiVMhc

Currently two options: bin pneumatic actuators and run electic with built in feedback. Such as these:

but i am concened about duty cycle with the microadjustments these things are making on the run and I can really afford to have them take a break.

http://www.linak.com/products/linear-actuators.aspx?product=LA36

option 2 is to find some linear positioners and retrofit to current actuators, they would need to run 4-20 feedback and have a stroke of ~300mm currently this is my prefered removes reservation of duty cycle and i know the rams are up to the task. 

Questions A: do these things simple linear positioners exist, if I put a geared system to convert linear to rotary position (seems like rotary positioners are way more common) what do i do about deadband?  

will it be worse than the current setup. (which is OK mostly during steady state but is a bastard at low flow /ramp-up where small changes have a massive effect on airflow / pressure

ok I lied.. Option 3 exists which is to control fans via VSD but the length of cables from MCC will make it cost prohibitive and minimal energy savings are likely. hence two options...

Tech spam it up..

servo units with encoders to replace pneumatics

or 2 x 5/2 valves and an encoder strip on a pneumatic ram. If they arent running fast (i imagine very slowly) then that should be fine. Or use no encoder and use plc to hunt when the pressure changes

those linak things arent made for duty cycle as per your concerns IMO. If you talk to the linak dude they are generally used for tables and beds etc in offices and hospitals where low duty cycle and generally clean environments

and how much money do you have, pneumatics gon be cheapest but probably least accurate but most robust

Probably sneak up to 20k on parts to do this properly. The current system has no positional feedback and big problems happen when set point is miles from pv. As you would expect on start up or when other airflow influences are made which affect chamber pressure. (Fans and valves etc..)

Tell me more about encoder strip?

Here's some encoder units. Not a strip as such but same thing

http://www.festo.com/cat/en-nz_nz/products_050500

I think it's more like you should run twin sets of valves. When pressure is outside a set range, use high speed valves to make large movements then when it is within a certain range, switch to low speed valves. Not really sure how encoders will help when there are several factors which vary pressure

I have some Dumb spring positioner controlled pneumatic actuators which are getting old and forgetful now. these control vane style dampers 3 independant 300kw fans to maintain an overall chaimber pressure to within 2mm wg (chaimber is about 5 stories high and quite expensive so i don't want to implode/explode it if possible). control is though HMI via 4-20ma signal to modulate damper position.  rams are running 6 bar and 4inch so capable of ~4000N (see what i did there)

looks like this:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlNCbGnEDv53QCVNxGQPBu23k9UMGTDAPTr9U25m82i_81gT_A0yiVMhc

Currently two options: bin pneumatic actuators and run electic with built in feedback. Such as these:

but i am concened about duty cycle with the microadjustments these things are making on the run and I can really afford to have them take a break.

http://www.linak.com/products/linear-actuators.aspx?product=LA36

option 2 is to find some linear positioners and retrofit to current actuators, they would need to run 4-20 feedback and have a stroke of ~300mm currently this is my prefered removes reservation of duty cycle and i know the rams are up to the task. 

Questions A: do these things simple linear positioners exist, if I put a geared system to convert linear to rotary position (seems like rotary positioners are way more common) what do i do about deadband?  

will it be worse than the current setup. (which is OK mostly during steady state but is a bastard at low flow /ramp-up where small changes have a massive effect on airflow / pressure

ok I lied.. Option 3 exists which is to control fans via VSD but the length of cables from MCC will make it cost prohibitive and minimal energy savings are likely. hence two options...

Tech spam it up..

Those electric linear actuators are shit for what you want to do.

option 2: http://www.omega.com/pptst/LD630.html

I have used these before. they are mint. Look up LVDT positioner.many different types, probably can find cheaper and with a nz distributor with local stock. Nice smooth analog signal, easiest to work with compared to digital encoders -linear or rotary

-also that link above is suitable 5-300mm so should be good.

option 3: why not vsd? for 300kw motors will be spendy, but suprising the amount of energy you will save. i can get you a price if your interested, we get a good rate on them. why do you need new cables?