Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok thats fine, but as per what unclejake had done in the past, I retrofitted a subaru leone electronic distributor. I am saying because if you want to do some research/walk around pickapart, then you might find one that would fit a zephyr without much trouble.

But no I dont have experience with other kits

I guess no other fords used that engine either? e.g its not the same as a falcon motor or something that you might be able to get a later electronic dizzy from?

you need a 6 blade reluctor and associate hall effect sensor I guess. then to fit it in the space where the points currently go.

either that or a whole electronic dizzy from something else with the same firing order and adapt the shaf and mounting to fit.

or put a 36-1 wheel on the crank with a hall effect and a megajolt or megasquirt ecu to run multiple coils.

Nah I'm happy to buy a retrofit kit for the ease of fitment, there's a few out there I just want know what people recommend/experiences.. the pertronix kit was good for me but has some bad reviews, had a different kit from the metric knut for my combi that failed within 1000k...although,  I just discovered on the tard a guy selling early Zephyr new electronic dizzys for about 70 bucks more than a stateside pertronix kit.. prob not a bad idea, new vac adv, bearings etc

yowser, every person on the internet says advance idle (to a point) for cooler engine not later and makes sense, why do you suggest later?

regarding 12 degrees, out of interest on ms are you reading that off the ignition main table position or the current/corrected true angle readout?

Retarding the timing will create higher exhaust temperature but should lower the combustion chamber temp, but it's all irrelevant anyway coz you shouldn't be fuxking with ignition timing to solve a cooling issue.

Hey lads,

anybody know of an older whip that has a small fuse box along these lines?

H84960071_01.png

Want to wire in a few accessories but keep it neat and vintage looking. Will just grab a HELLA unit if i cant find anything sweeter

Only need 5 or so fuses but up to 10 would still be an ok size.

Sounds like a mish to Zebra or pickas will be easiest way!

Just going back to the heat wrap topic...

Some rolls of aliexpress 'titanium' heat wrap turned up today, and I wrapped a coolant return line with it that was heat soaking my intake manifold.

Holy shit it's good! So much better than fibreglass stuff that feels like it's going to discintegrate before you even finish fitting it.

It's got a glossy kind of feel and appearance, and seems a bit tougher.
Cuts nice with scissors and easy to wrap. Since this pipe gets to only 90-100 degrees I just used zip ties.

I picked up that handy tip from the fabrication fail thread haha.

A++, will reccomend if it lasts more than a few weeks haha.

• Like 2

Hey lads,

anybody know of an older whip that has a small fuse box along these lines?

H84960071_01.png

Want to wire in a few accessories but keep it neat and vintage looking. Will just grab a HELLA unit if i cant find anything sweeter

Only need 5 or so fuses but up to 10 would still be an ok size.

From experience, anything mid 70s-early 80s would be worth a shot.

• Like 1

What exactly are you doing with carbon? Sounds interesting.

In other news I stripped another exhaust manifold thread yesterday, ffffuuuuuuu

Stupid factory studs only go in... not very far compared to thread depth.

I'd remade 3 out of threaded rod which go all the way in, but kept two standard ones... The two standard ones shit themselves.