Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. Found carbon fabric I need on all express this morning. I think I've sourced all the things I new for my Carbon attempt. So I can start buying things now...

Iv ordered 10m of the carbon Kevlar cloth. Will be making bonnet and mud guards for lotus from it. Was about half the Nz price. Looks good in the photos!

Iv ordered 10m of the carbon Kevlar cloth. Will be making bonnet and mud guards for lotus from it. Was about half the Nz price. Looks good in the photos!

Looking forward to see what you find. Why are you using Kevlar out of curiosity?

From what I've read Kevlar is used for its impact resistance but carbon has higher rigidity. Hence its use for bonnets.

I think carbon is quite brittle. And Kevlar isn't. So it's like the best of both worlds.

Must be better for guards-stone impacts.

Plus it looks dope.

Yeah definitely good for stone impacts. Just for bonnets straight carbon requires less matting thickness to get the same rigidity to hold its shape...

ah crap sakes I was logging the wrong stuff, I didnt realise there was 2 loggers in tunerstudio, next time...

Ā 

new electric fan seems to be much better, need to try on a hot day. I have also set the off point for the fan to the opening temp of the thermostat to try stop the temperature 'hunting' so much

• Like 1

Yeah blow torch was dumb idea but lighter temp is about right.

Carbon cloth is not "brittle" as many people seem to assume.

I had a full carbon bonnet (with rise) and zero skeleton sitting on my lawn.

It was stepped on by a guy that probably weighed 150kg. We looked at each other like FUCK as his weight had pushed the center down about 4" into the grass.

When be removed weight it popped back into original shape with zero damage.

I got told afterward by glass man that resin choice can have a greater impact on durability of parts- modern stuff has flex additives or something.

I have used Kevlar briefly and it was very hard to cut!

very unlikely to make any kind of difference that is a problem. will be better than shitty cast manifold/too small pipes but will just be leaving something on the table so to speak is all.

does depend a bit on the engine too as to how much of a difference things will make