Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

5 hours ago, mjrstar said:

Steam

You need to whip down the cemetery and dig up an old steam barry......

Can be really hard to tame. Steam/condensate is harder to deal with than hydrocarbons i think.

How much are you allowed to delve into it? We had a troublesome vessel that we couldn't see or measure the oil/water interface with the existing nozzles and level measurement, so i made a probe that could be inserted with 3 different tappings to sample the liquid from 3 levels at once.

Can you break the flange where the steam is coming in and insert a baffle/deflector into the vessel that changes the way the steam enters? It could be welded to a rod on a flange ring that is sandwiched in.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a couple of non intrusive options underway at the moment including limiting the discharge valve max open percentage and increasing the level... it's kind of a knife edge system with a steam heater on one side and a condensate heater on the other plus a target temp of 225 degrees+/- 1/2 a degree plus an ever changing automatic set point...

I'm pretty confident a vortex breaker is the correct weapon of choice, but I can see how chopping up the inlet could also help..

It's an insulated pressure vessel, so externally pretty much stuck with what we have.

I have done the diy voretx breaker on a long stick poked into tank through an access hatch whilst running a few years ago, I suspect that fix(bodge) is still in place until someone pulls it out thinking it's garbage and throws it away.. it's amazing how slow the swirl can be and how deep and aggressive a vortex can become..

Found some down at my local everything pipe and fitting related. They didn't even know they had it, but I recognized the bag up on the wall from a distance as the one Tori posted.

7 hours ago, tortron said:

Is bundy unacceptable?

I have used steel bundy previously, but I'm being a princess and want the shinier stuff.

I had also heard the kunifer was easier to bend, but a quick test on the shit I have bought says otherwise.

Now I need one of those wheely straightener things. I'll either buy a few sliding door rollers, or old m8 @Bistro reckons a bit of wood with a hole drilled in it. He can demonstrate on Wednesday for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fletch said:

Found some down at my local everything pipe and fitting related. They didn't even know they had it, but I recognized the bag up on the wall from a distance as the one Tori posted.

I have used steel bundy previously, but I'm being a princess and want the shinier stuff.

I had also heard the kunifer was easier to bend, but a quick test on the shit I have bought says otherwise.

Now I need one of those wheely straightener things. I'll either buy a few sliding door rollers, or old m8 @Bistro reckons a bit of wood with a hole drilled in it. He can demonstrate on Wednesday for me.

We got some goldy hued stuff ages ago at work, feels like it would split when you flare it to me, sure doesn't want to straighten easily. I don't even try to give the shit away let alone sell it.

So, I wanna use a smart watch to trigger actions by just waving it at an nfc tag (e.g. one by light switch to set 'away' mode). It turns out that any SW with nfc only pretend to be a tag, like a pay chit for gym lockers. There's one guy who managed with an old Samsung (NLA), but no code published, and doubters. So I could build one, but lilygo T-Watch with expansion were only the 2019 version. So I probably shouldn't bother, right? But it's obvious, just waving your watch at a spot without having to get your phone out, unlock it, ok the action etc is far better UI, huh?

Question for welders:

Yesterday I successfully TIG welded a bunch of steel together. Then the argon bottle ran out. I got the new bottle (C02 this time) and had to change regulators to a cheap Chinese one as it was the only one that would fit. 

Today my welds (again on steel) are like they're not getting gas, instead of a weld puddle I'm getting sizzling and sparking and porous holes and shit. I can hear gas coming out of the nozzle when I pull the trigger though, so what the hell is the problem? Is C02 wrong for Tig? Has some asshole filled my c02 bottle with oxygen? 

• 3 weeks later...

So I messaged @h4nd earlier today to help me out with my inadequacies, he said I should repost in here to make you feel better/spread the knowledge.

Hey man, I'm doing a basic electronics project with my class with a light/dark sensor. I've got a circuit that works with an LED but wanting to swap in a piezo buzzer instead. I have the fear that I might pick the wrong type as I want it to oscillate as soon as exposed to 9V rather than needing a separate driver? Any tips on what hopefully cheap AF options I should be looking for? Thanks heaps!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HMEPmaqcSKcSJj9h8

This is the circuit, will be switcherooed to on when exposed to light and an additional switch to stop it driving me mad...

This was his super helpful response, I've spotted that what I need is ~$2.50-$5/unit from somewhere reputable, I need ~30, so slow boat from Aliexpress will sort me out , we're pretty lucky to have clever chaps who don't make you feel like an idiot when asking the hard questions...

Good one posting the link and datasheet. It looks to me like it designed for ac input: '12 Vp-p square wave' (so, strictly the datasheet is wrong; it's a transducer (changes energy from one form to another)) rather than a buzzer.

nz.element14.com (local brand name for Farnell) is quick (1-2 days) if you check it's in stock in Oz;

but I like the Digikey parts selector, as they have better filtering: e.g:

https://www.digikey.co.nz/en/products/filter/alarms-buzzers-and-sirens/157?s=N4IgTCBcDaIA4EsCmAvA9gAgEYFcUqQCcQBdAXyA

note the 5th box:

• Driver Circuitry:
    -Indicator, Internally Driven
    -Transducer, Externally Driven

You can then find one(s) you like, and even go hunt for them on nz.element14.com

Shipping is expensive until you get to ~50-100 buck for those places.

Try this?

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/mini-piezo-buzzer-3-16vdc/p/AB3462

Cheers,

@h4nd

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo, 5yo Acer Laptop stopped charging this week. Picked up a new charger off TM. No difference, still has charge so I can run diagnostics if hive mind has a strategy? Nothing needs to be recovered so not the end of the world if I need to replace it, but still has 4-5 hours of battery life/does everything it needs to if there's a repair strategy?