Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, HighLUX said:

No air leaks as its weirdly intermittent, im thinking the throttle body is doing something funky/loosing its mind

Is there a damper on the operating arm of the throttle body ?  If it's gone west the idle can be all over the place.

While we are on the subject 

05 honda accord with k24

Been sitting for 4 years 

Starts, does the fast idle thing but when it warms up it revs up and down approx 1000 to 1800 rpm 

Stuck idle control valve? Tried filling it with carb clean to unstick it but no dice

Put scan tool on it but doesn't show a fault 

Think the vac hose from the booster to the manifold was the issue, it was all hard and split on the end of the hose where it slides onto the booster. Cut it a bit shorter and slid it back on then tried the idle re learn again followed by a bit of a drive. Seems to be happy and doing what its supposed to like bumping the idle up when AC turns on etc.

Idle seems alot more stable and doesnt fluctuate even slightly like it used to. Would make sense with how the problem has slowly got worse as the hose fell to bits with the fact I dont think the idle was reset by the battery shop or the auto sparkys when the alternator was done so dodgy idle from that and the vacuum leak making it worse/even worse when it was trying to reset the idle

Basically I was today old when I learnt that Toyotas with drive by wire freak out when you take the power off the battery.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, cletus said:

While we are on the subject 

05 honda accord with k24

Been sitting for 4 years 

Starts, does the fast idle thing but when it warms up it revs up and down approx 1000 to 1800 rpm 

Stuck idle control valve? Tried filling it with carb clean to unstick it but no dice

Put scan tool on it but doesn't show a fault 

• Thanks 1

In my youth it was a widely held belief that plugging the welder into the range was a good idea because it ran off the strongest fuse in the house. None of us even thought that the sockets might be lower rated and/or fused separately.

• Like 2

I've had the lush opportunity to hoon around in my bosses Suzuki ST90 Carry Van. It's awesome, other than it's a bitch to start and idle when cold. 

The starter cranks for ever, then eventually after about a minute it starts to catch. Although it cuts out again quickly, even with the choke out. After a few goes doing this, it reluctantly starts and idles but it's anyone's guess if it's gonna cut out again. Once warm.. it's alright, but has cut out on me a few times at intersections.

The battery, sparkplugs and starter are all good so pretty sure that's not the problem. The bosses said they were using 91 octane. Should I try 95? Or could it be a case of dodgy connections in the dizzy?