Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

6 hours ago, tortron said:

Can anyone confirm which if any supercheaps in auckland take waste oil. Internet says they all do but I don't recall seeing any oil bins

Repco doesn't take it anymore (then stop selling it, that's very rubbish of you) 

I'm pretty sure repco in Pukekohe still has bins out the front. I'll report back tomorrow if I happen to go past.

• Like 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tortron said:

Thr Papakura one doesn't take it

I don't think any others do. It's pretty rubbish, il just pour it on a taniwha shall i

Council site says supercheap, but I haven't seen the big yellow bin out front for a while. 

I have like 60L to get rid of, so a burner would be a good investment

Failing that I could lose it in our waste oil tank at work.

Same issue here in Wellington, I have a about 70 odd L of old oil to get rid of but its not free at the dump here. Council used to run a yearly hazardous waste collection, but stopped doing that a couple of years ago because actually getting something back for our rates was too much to ask.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kws said:

Same issue here in Wellington, I have an about 70 odd L of old oil to get rid of but it’s not free at the dump here. Council used to run a yearly hazardous waste collection, but stopped doing that a couple of years ago because actually getting something back for our rates was too much to ask.

It’s free for 10l or less at Porirua tip.

My wof man/mechanic lets me dump it in his big tank so long as I take the containers away.

• Like 1

WPC collects 400l or more for free, so presumably a truck service centre wouldn't care if you chucked yours in their dump. I've got a 995l hopper and all the locals make the most of it because I'm community minded/utterly powerless to stop them 

• Haha 1

According to the site, it looks like Silverstream landfill has changed its tune. It used to limit you to only a few lites of oil, before they started to charge you commercial rates to dispose of the rest. Can't see that on their price list anymore, so I guess I'll load the car up and make it someone else's problem for $25 (plus weight, i guess).

Otherwise its a handful of trips over the hill to the Porirua dump to do it 10L at a time

Brake hoses - Starlet ones are 40 years old now. Is it worth replacing them? they still look fine from the outside, but 40 years is 40 years.

Who does good quality hoses these days?

Best to go stainless braided or stick with rubber?

3 hours ago, ajg193 said:

HEL probably do a set at a decent price. Otherwise just go standard rubber stuff from your favorite parts shop. 

A lot of the cheap generic (imported by a slightly generic bald bloke who drives a Navara and has his voting preferences as the main part of his very masculine personality,  probably) are best avoided, have seen quite a few fail at the crimps

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Brake hoses - Starlet ones are 40 years old now. Is it worth replacing them? they still look fine from the outside, but 40 years is 40 years.

Are you still in chch?

Take one off and go see CBC and theyll make you new ones 

Aprox 40$ each ish at a guess 

• Like 1