Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have put a dti down the spark plug holes and turned the engine back and forth and there was zero play between each direction so I feel all bearings are sweet. I have also run engine with tappet cover off and could not find the noise up top anywhere using stethoscope.

It may be that the headers being thin stainless transfer noise better but they are certainly where the noise can be heard best with stethoscope. Too bad it's all 4 that make pretty much the same sound

• Like 1

They say 226g/kWh, so 16MJ/kg, and diesel is ~48MJ/kg, so 16/48 gives ~33% total thermodynamic efficiency. At full throttle, a smaller turbodiesel gives ~39% (from memory), but them are weasel words, of course.

From the interwebs:

Gasoline engines are about 15%-25% efficiency. New cars are at the 25% end. Diesel engines are 30%-49% efficient. Diesel semi trucks are about 35%. Large multimegawatt diesel power plant engines are up to 49%. (See Wartsila engines).

This may still be a useful engine, because it's part throttle efficiency may be better than gasoline / small turbo diesel, bu tI suspect it'd be in production if the advantages were that compelling. I'd heard Prius get a similar effect by only compressing part of the compression stroke (valve timing jiggery), but using the full expansion stroke. Easier to manufacture, (no odd sized pistons, bores, counterweights), just needs cam change.

Alternator wiring failed on the Volvo tonight this time the earth wire to the body broke and it stopped charging, its funny the first thing to stop working is the temperature gauge, I think that little fucker uses more amps than the headlights.

• Like 1

Alternator wiring failed on the Volvo tonight this time the earth wire to the body broke and it stopped charging, its funny the first thing to stop working is the temperature gauge, I think that little fucker uses more amps than the headlights.

I've been fucking around with the guages on the 2105 and found the temp gauge strains the engine at idle similar to turning the headlights on

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hey,

didnt think required its own thread,

E21 didnt start yesterday, turned key, dash lights on, no tur rurrs.

Rolled it outside and managed to jump start it with my piddly pencil thin jumper leads on Jo's car (usually don't do anything)

Drove for approx an hour to wanganui, started first pop when we left.

Drove to visit someone in feilding, nipped out to get some dinner and wouldn't start, so crash started it. Started first pop when we left feilding again later on in the night.

Started no problem since then, and took battery into repco for them to do a test, still pulled up 12.5v and 516cca.

I thought may be a starter problem rather than battery, but surely putting leads on the battery wouldn't help this?

IDUNOMAN