Matt's hairdresser spec Mazda of lame.

mjrstar

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ its the cut down front engine mount bracket which also houses the timing belt idler bearing. He's made it lighter as the east west mount is of no use in the RWD layout but still needs the timing belt idler to work.

That's the one Phil, although I'm sure no-one doubted your ability to recognise mitsi parts..

Also box, and the good block back from the engine re-conditioners - still in Auckland at this stage.

P1010907_zpsc16f4d3d.jpg

Sounds like the adaptor plate should be nailed at the laser cutters next week...

Some progress from saturday

20130105_212058.jpg

20130105_193010.jpg

20130105_210829.jpg

Not too sure the ali tape will hold much boost...Also obtained the gto 4 pots and discs for 50 bucks on the tard

Next plan will be for some weld on the inlet manifold and i'll try get hold of some bends etc.. to piece together a manifold for the hot side..

Plan is to run the evo diff and axles with the subframe widened to suit. I still need to look in to the rear hub arrangement to find a suitable match for the evo spline.. Also looking to change to 4x114 stud pattern all round..

Not too keen on the mx5 axles to be honest.. The evo ones I have are a touch larger with more splines, it needs to take a beating without the fear of parts failing..

where do I buy shorts bits of straight steam tube.. probably 3 or 4 bits at 100mm long or so..

Aren't evo rear diffs really weak? I've seen quite a few sheared CWP's from people doing RWD conversions (one was an evo8)... They manage to kill them on road tyres in a chassis that has zero rear traction, so I would think you'll make short work of one in an actual RWD car?

The majority of the failures i have heard of have been due to soft mounting bushes / flex / "axle tramp" whatever you want to call it destroying the housings rather than internal failures due to inherent weakness, this is the early style case (not a newer AYC case) and been fitted whith probably the strongest of rear hats. Sure there is a chance it'll quit, but hoping the ISF of the gears will improve longevity. Maybe there is a better (and still cost effective) plate lsd option out there which has been overlooked?

Plan B is probably an R200 diff, but time will tell I guess...

• Like 1

The sloppy diff mounts are in the bin. The diff will be solid mounted, also Making new floor sections for the gearbox x-member, so the driveline should have a pretty solid feel.

Trying to avoid custom axles to keep costs down and aid in ease of replacement of parts..