Matt's hairdresser spec Mazda of lame.

mjrstar

Failburger pictureless update but main points are as follows:

Gearbox will fit width wise and requires only minor relief height at the rear to give good clearance inside the tunnel. Proposed driveshaft angles looks to be fairly good.

Diff and axles, fit within the current subframe /arm combo but are not far from bottoming, plan is to find a second subframe cut them up and use 2 halves to extend it ~20mm to give some safety margin.

Rear evo wheel flanges will press into the rear hubs with only minor mods and factory bearings.

28mm front stub diameter is not going to cut the mustard, custom hubs is looking like the best option to increase stub / wheelbearing diameter and build enough offset to clear the brakes.

270MM rear discs is not ambitious enough, aim should be 290-295mm to make best use of available space.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grabbed the donor rear subframe last night and managed to eyball a couple of racks.....

Steering racks that is, this is the NA (top) and NB (bottom), the NB looks like a goer as it's less bulky around the area the sump will want to occupy, and piping angles look like they will give better clearance.

20130214_170642_zps82bdf48d.jpg

the mounting is solid at one end which is a bonus although the standard mount holes will be about 1/2 a hole out and apparently they use different rack ends.

Also got a chance to look at some aftermarket bracing for an NA and the factory NB bracing for the rear subframe, neither of which will work due to the extra subframe width.. but it has given me a few ideas.

Got a chance to spend a bit of time in the shed..

20130216_111458_zpsd3fa80de.jpg

chop chop

20130216_112648_zps4a3d8bd7.jpg

weld weld

20130216_123048_zps86611b13.jpg

Trial fit.. will probably look to muck up some of the diff mounting before giving the subframe a clean up and lick of paint...

20130216_185319_zps5ac409a0.jpg

complete with 4x114 hub fitted up, subframe is just on an inch wider than factory

20130216_184841_zps52512355.jpg

I just moved the mounting holes inwards on the subframe, so it will fit onto unmodified chassis rail mounting provisions. It has gained a touch more angle to the rear struts, but i still like this idea rather than modifying all four suspension arms or messing around with shortening axles etc..

Should look a whole lot better once it's had a dose of the wire wheel and some paint.

Re: power steer, I found the car felt twitchy and the front end feel wss vague with it connected. We also had issues with hoses popping off mid race (maybe the pump rpm was too high?).

We removed it and I've found it easier to place the car without getting loose and haven't noticed the extra weight while racing.

They take them apart and remove the inner oil seals on the shaft as they have a fuck tonne of friction and make it heaps harder to turn. Just slap some grease in to keep it lubed and then block the lines/blanking plug.

It would pay to verify that as I potentially just made that up but I remember something along those lines

EDIT: I realise this isnt what you were asking hah. As you were.

I had seen a bit of a tech article on the de assist mods for power steer. Either way plan A is to convert to a solid mounted PS rack and then de-assist it if required. Note it will probably be an electric rather than engine driven pump (at this stage).

We are intending to run a MR2 PS pump in the carina under the dash in a firebox (with the accusump). We are going to run it off a VFO that is controlled by a dial ramping the pump speed up and down. This means we can set it to our preference as 2 of us will be using the car. This negates all the MR2's steering sensors, and extra ecu we require.

The rear subframe looks rad. I need to rebuild ours to take a JZX90 diff and axles but its going to be far more involved i think as i want to keep the Carina trailing arm suspension. Still working on a game plan for this, current idea is "lets just see if whats in there blows up first"