Matt's hairdresser spec Mazda of lame.

mjrstar

Guest mjrstar

Balance shafts are already gone, with bearings installed to suit. at this stage i'm hoping to recycle some of the original mx5 pipework and match it up with the late model evo pick-up. So nothing too fancy - but good use of recycled materials.

There is not much i need to piece the shortblock together actually, an oil pump seal and crank seals is all that's missing...

The sump baffling looks like it will work fairly well in a north south configuration - probably better than it does when installed east west.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Truenotch

I don't doubt that for a second - your poke looks completely manageable and we all know that you have the skills.... That pic just brought back fond memories / bad karmageddon.

Guest mjrstar

Ha yeah thankfully this thread is not 48 pages long with no real stuff happening.

Bits for the interesting style of gearbox mounting which is on the menu..

20130421_150405_zps6414b7ea.jpg

Well I had intended to get stuck in and sort out the gearbox mount... But i had enough of crawling under the car after drilling and tapping the mount bolts out to M12..
But the sump pick-up had been playing on my mind, I wasn't sure I would have room to fit it in with the low profile front section.. so that involved dragging the sump back out of the car - which was slightly less hassle than installing it (since i knew i would have to drop the font subframe...

Anyway - enough words.

20130428_141025_zps31073353.jpg
ok maybe just a few more words..

It's part mx5 part mitsubishi (not sure if i used VR4 or Evo 4 bits in the end) but it looks like its going to work..

^^ No Honda parts...- Damn I already have honda lights and bell housing bolts from an H22a prelude..

I also went to Pick a part on the weekend and grabbed a subaru legacy steering column universal to start on the custom shifter assembly for the 6 speed.. -more on that when some real progress is made..

Flywheel has the same pcd as the vr4 crank, and clutch plate is the same spline as the gearbox so it's a bit of a no brainer really.. plus it was something silly like 12,000 yen / less than $250..

Followed this from day one knowing your skills building the starlet.

I spend a lot of time researching parts and pieces to make them work and i would of never thought half of this stuff would have even remotely gone together

Your project is inspirational to us part-timers, Keep up the good work.

Finally got my hands on a replacement fuel tank which is mint inside..

20130508_173755_zps3b6f270f.jpg

Also decided I have done enough welding on the sump..

20130508_173707_zps4ddac2e7.jpg

20130508_174002_zpsb997f05a.jpg

Finding the puzzle piece (fuel tank) should mean the rear subframe and diff can stay installed from now on.

Found a bar and plate intercooler on the tard for $120 which should be up for the cooling duties given the modest power target.

the other smaller intercooler is the factory unit from my evo..

20130512_142517_zps0cd106b9.jpg

20130512_142553_zpsd64ec4cd.jpg

20130512_141555_zps80220ed2.jpg

With a bit of digging I found some 4x114 hubs with a 33mm ID bearing from errr.. a Hyundai Santamo - whatever one of those is.. Anyway before forking out on a set of new hubs it seemed prudent to mock up the likely position to see if it's possible to package it within the 15 inch wheels...

Things are going to be close.... 

20130512_150702_zpsbb95c511.jpg

20130512_150545_zps5850c6c9.jpg

20130512_150635_zps85f31123.jpg

It's going to be close everywhere and would be dependent on finding just the right disc. The hub offset will mean the car will need somewhere between 40 and 50mm wide to cover the tyres.