Matt's hairdresser spec Mazda of lame.

mjrstar

Picked this up on Saturday,

shgwaa.jpg

ontrailer.jpg

Plan is a nice solid drive-line and a 4g63T under the bonnet.

The car had been in a carport for quite some time with the hood down, and it looks as though an animal might have been living in there - Presumably a poodle..

The outline at this stage is :

Engine:

Evo 4 head onto vr4 block, with second hand wiseco pistons, grafted together early and late inlet manifolds, factory cast exhaust manifold with an evo 9 turbo flipped to face forward (possibly a mild wheel upgrade) run by and evo 7 ECU. will need to fab up a rear bowl sump and a few other goodies..

Transmission:

We snapped up a 4G63 to W series Toyota Bills auto fab custom bellhousing for cheaps, but not 100 % if it's an ideal gearbox choice given the age and popularity these days.. so will keep the options open. (some discussion of a 6 speed 350Z box)

Diff:

Evo plate LSD - probably solid mounted, but will explore mounting option in greater detail down the track, but probably some form of Mitsi axles I'd imagine? option B would probably be a GTR diff.

So yeah that's about it at this stage..

This is a bit of a joint project with a mate of mine who is into modified evos and hondas..

Sunday: I ripped out around 20KG's of extra wiring, including at least a dozen relays, aftermarket central locking, boot popper, 4 alarm sirens (yes 4) 2 separate alarm systems, air horns, spot lights, 7 speakers and 3 kilometres of stereo wiring. I was a little worried things would not be working afterwards, but all is go except the park lights and the hazards.. although when you press the hazard button it does engage the starter.

DSCF2275.jpg

Also has the ultimate in rangi throttle switch which looks to have been used for Water meth injection or some such.. :lol:

DSCF2273.jpg

Also ran over it with the buffer and cutting compound as it was just to terrible looking. :rolleyes:

d.jpg

-still had drivers side to do in that pic.

I guess i could post up pics of pistons,engine bits, and bellhousing etc.. but we'll leave that for another day..

Let the flaming begin...

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The plan at this stage is to try and hock the complete running gear from radiator to diff and include stuff like the fuel pump if anyone is considering a repower of a kit car or maybe something os and lightweight??

also discovered a bit of a weakness in the front swaybar mounting with the uprated bar in there so will re-engineer something a little meatier for that..

I have no idea around the compatibility of the cas / coils sorry...

• Like 1

Chopped up a couple of bits of steel for the sway bar mounts.. should be beefier than the old weak as piss ones which had been welded before and were pretty sad / busted all round... drilled a couple of holes and they are pretty much ready to weld on..

20121004_193052.jpg

Possibly not all that elegant but pretty simple / effective

Always good to watch your projects, you never do things by halves.

Also very keen to see that engine used more widely then the common EX Lancer conversions they end up (nothing against EX lancers i like them, but would be mean to see one in something else)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Always good to watch your projects, you never do things by halves.

Also very keen to see that engine used more widely then the common EX Lancer conversions they end up (nothing against EX lancers i like them, but would be mean to see one in something else)

Good luck!

Ill second that, most would of settled for a BP-T. I like your style far better

My concern these days is the lack of strong rwd boxes we have to choose from (especially ones with removable bellhousings) be interested to see which way you go

The mitsi engine is actually a bit of an interesting plan in itself. The use of a vr4 block will give the optimal layout for engine mount options but the later model head puts the turbo on the passengers side out of the way of steering and master cylinders. Its a bit of mucking about with oil drainbacks etc but should be worth it.

in the mean time the night before Bathurst provided the opportunity (after a few bourbons with the helpers you may recognise) to swap out the dead engine with the other "unknown" engine.. but not before confirming that the original engine was in fact DEAD... and yes the noise coming from the bottom end was quite spectacular from either a 2 piece conrod or crank..

IMG_20121006_210059.jpg

anyway the replacement 1.6 is in and goes, albeit with a bit of a coolant leak from the water pump.. the plan is to slap on a fresh water pump and confirm the motor is all good before hocking it off..

oh yeah... looks like 15x8's are not going to cut it..

IMG_20121007_000311.jpg

on the look out for some 15x9's at 0 offset i think, any stud pattern will do as the hubs / brakes will get modded to suit.