Matt's hairdresser spec Mazda of lame.

mjrstar

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So there may be a slight glitch with the concentric slave diameter vs the GTR pressure plate finger diameter.. 

here is the item in question ( oem nissan unit on the left)

20131105_202213_zps9c6d52fd.jpg

Anyway got bored of that and decided i needed some spacers for the COP setup. Originally thought about welding on some ali tabs but the resident alloy weld master is a few thousand k's away..

Plan B involved wandering across the road to pick up a bit of acetal plastic. (My story is that the plastic should insulate the coils from heat compared to plan A)

15 minutes later on our rather rough workshop lathe I had these plus a bit left over for anything else that might come to mind..

20131107_125027_zps1f6ae51a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

See my current problem??

20131120_063954_zpsd4397fee.jpg

I'm tempted to see if an entire bigger diameter replacement bearing is an option to fit up on this HRB? option b will looks like some machining magic will need to take place to put an external sleeve on the new HRB that replicates the profile (has a raised portion vs the flat face on the other bearing) of the unit designed to engage on the skyline pressure plate..

This puzzle piece (along with the hydraulic lines running to the bearing) are pretty much the last roadblock before the motor and box can be installed...

• Like 1

Loving your work in this build, my mates got 4g63t in his old LB lancer and even stock standard its just so awesome to drive, this is bound going to put a massive grin on your face, and your throwing a link at it so this will be even more silly/awesome once its dyno'd.

just out of curiosity the old front hub arms of the mx5 do you still have them around? Would you mind to measure them height-wise please.... just wanted to see if they could work with an idea i have for the viva.

I think the 4g63t is probably the best weapon of choice as far as easily available 2 litre turbocharged 4 cyliner engines from this era much better than 3sgte or Sr20.. the 6 speed nissan box is a good strong contender, and what else in this price bracket comes close for strength? The the mx does seem like the ideal lightweight rwd chassis which doesn't cost moonbeams (mine shell cost me $250 once i sold off the running gear)

The arms themselves i don't have any measurements of, and they are installed at present...

I do have the old knuckels (still on the car)and also a set of s6 rx7 ones which were identified as a possibility but upper arm connection point for the knuckle and steering ackerman arm is a tad long for the MX rack stroke...

there are photos here (let me know if this album works for you or you want more pics)

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/mjrstar/slideshow/Knuckles

or this link maybe?

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/mjrstar/library/Knuckles

not sure if those are of much help?

hit this with the mill the other day, removed the raised portions and took a tad more off to suit the bracket i have planned to hold the concentric slave cylinder..

20131201_105500_zps9b1425e2.jpg

once this is sorted I will be waiting for the flywheel combo to come back from balancing - which i dropped off on Monday, and the hoses to be made for plumbing in the slave cylinder.. i don't think they will be back by the weekend so the motor and box probably won't be getting dropped in this weekend.  :x

So I asked for teflon lined ss braided lines 180 mm long with bulkhead fittings from the clutch shop in town. My wife picked up the hoses and fittings, clearly the dude at the shop had a short attention span as the hoses don't have any if the features I requested.....

Anywat rant over I decided I would jam the slave cylinder with the random hoses..

20131208_100147_zpsaa0ef4d2.jpg

Also covered up what is now a spare hole in the bell housing.

20131208_100123_zps3acb3e9b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

still plodding away at this - had a dude at work blaze this up

20131217_103709_zps054751e5.jpg

it's a bit tough to get too carried away in the shed when it ~30+ degrees inside there - needs some air con

Also ditched the rubber clutch hoses for some braided items like I originally had specified and clocked the slave cylinder to point the hose fitting nearer to the top, not having much in the way of time off over xmas, although would like to think I will be able to post a new years day progress shot with the 4G63 in it's home.

• Like 1

in one bit for the first time

20131217_195913_zps21403a1d.jpg

20131217_195906_zps27eb1912.jpg

all coming along pretty well, although will need to re-jig 2 of the bellhousing bolts which can't be installed as first planned due to the proximity of the sump bowl, and need some cap screws for the starter motor fitment due to clearance issues to the block

20131217_195855_zps2e19b915.jpg

• Like 5

Awesome work, engine bay looks so, so tidy.

Yeah it's a bit of a slow plug away at it.. having to modify / make everything...

such as the oil filter outlet..

20131224_110328_zpsd8aab8a3.jpg

Although now I  should be able to figure out filter housing placement and what hose / fittings I need..  Hopefully this thing fits without fouling on anything...

• 4 weeks later...

Got a snap of the extra little firewall mod needed to fix my clearance fuck up. .

20140118_114443_zpse39e0def.jpg

Also got the oil cooler, filter housing and fuel rail back from tig welding..

20140118_114413_zps0a0a7a76.jpg

Kind of need to sort the alternator belt situation before I can be certain of how to route the oil hoses...