Matt's hairdresser spec Mazda of lame.

mjrstar

Got the new water pump in and fixed up the ignition timing and new the little 1.6 is humming along nicely. (It feels less asthmatic than the only other mx5 i have driven) Also sorted the front swaybar mounts so they are nice and solid, and got the lights to play the game (a bit of a mission with the weird wiring!!)

The plan is to leave the running gear in to keep it mobile until the 4g63T is built and has a gearbox hanging off the back of it

In the brake department the current thinking involves a larger 17/16ths master cylinder and some bargain basement 4 pot callipers (maybe Mitsi GTO 4 pots unless someone has something suitable they are wanting to sell at a sharp price?) and an upsized disc which will still hide under a 15’’ rim. It looks like using a larger rear disc with the factory calliper spaced outwards to suit is probably going to be the simplest effective option on the back.. Might be time to raid pick a part with a ruler!

i can upload a pic of me giving the fingers to a filthy old leaky waterpump if i get hassled about the non photgraphic update?

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roof?

Will probably hold off on the attachment method until the cage is in.. it might end up with a latch mechanism on the front / sides similar to those flush mounted lever operated bonnet catches? or possibly some colour coded screws may do the trick.

roof.jpg

roof1.jpg

Should be better than cable ties / bluetack

It sounds like good news about the late model Z box coming in from the states - courtesy of chucks.. not sure if it'll be here this year or not..

also picked up some rx7 rear callipers which should work nicely on the original hoses and brake cables, will give 50% more pad area and take a much larger and ventilated disc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Added to the list of "do have" parts are a set of denso 720cc injectors, the tasty new evo lsd (built from 5 different diffs) and clutch friction plate designed for a Sylvia.

it was time to tear out the suspension arms out to give them the urethane bush treatment.

enter hover car:

hover2.jpg

after a scrub up, undercoat and a hit of satin black epoxy

FL.jpg

arms-1.jpg

still working through suspension install... i couldn't bring myself to put the clean bits back under the grubby wheel arches so it's getting a bit of a scrub up underneath ... anyway all the bushes are lubed up and installed into the arms...

also Diff..

CW & P have have been given a dose of Isotropic superfinishing so should help the diff cope with the beating it's likely to receive.

20121120_192637.jpg

10 years in the air farce enabled me to put my lockwire skills to good use... Ha..

20121120_192420.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Car went out for what is likely to be its final hoon with the wheezy 1600... seems a tad nicer on the new bushes even without a proper alignment..

Sorted a poverty spec 255 walbro for 60 bucks.. for extra laziness it comes mounted to an mx5 tank plate and comes complete with fuel level sender etc..

20121220_193530.jpg

Also have the makings of the new portion of the underbody which will be the pick up points for the crossmember.. it'll need some grinder love to make it in to 2 bits but should turn out sweet.. And the start of the front portion of the sump...

20121221_194514.jpg

Some of you may recognise the heavier version of this part?

20121217_180356.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is what happens when you are not hungover on new years day...

20130101_121931.jpg

Don't see it?

How about now...

20130101_121918.jpg

Fairly happy to have the old engine and box out and the new one dummied up by myself in under 3hrs..

Should be room to sort out the coolant lines at the back..

20130101_121850.jpg

The plan was to build a custom high mount exhaust manifold, the factory manifold is a no-go.

20130101_121911.jpg

Although looks like plenty of room for the inlet manifold to come together, and should be able to recycle the throttle cable with a simple new bracket...

20130101_121836.jpg

• Like 1