Matt's hairdresser spec Mazda of lame.

mjrstar

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keen on details of later model reversed head onto early block?

The main issue with the head swap is the extra oil drainbacks which will need to be filled.. but more about that later.. there will probably be some tinkering with the cam drive slot depending on what cam angle sensor is used.. the late model one won't work as it uses a cas and a crank trigger too..

anyway.. I spent some time in the shed today after work..

20130110_201321.jpg

20130110_201121.jpg

20130110_200457.jpg

This is how the turbo is going to sit...

20130110_200929.jpg

it's going to make for an oddball dump pipe but should be able to squeeze it in there somewhere...

There are a couple of options for retro fitting a crank trigger to this block:

Have a look at the later model ones, is probably possible to make some modifications to the oil pump, fit a disc to the crank and bolt up a sensor from a lter motor, or

http://www.shop.kigglyracing.com/product.sc?productId=3

combined with the factory cam sensor on that head should give you the correct triggering pattern for any of the wasted spark mitsy ecus.

Doesnt look like there is much clearance to the bulkhead though, for a head mounted CAS?

Love your work :)

keen to see how you will fit the other two runners in haha

Me too.. should be able to sort something out by the end of the weekend.. i really needed that number 4 runner to tuck forward as much as i could to give maximum dump pipe room..

Factory CAS is installed at the moment, not much chance of removing it with the engine in though.. i guess i could recess the firewall a bit but have been trying to avoind that at this stage.

You'e got me thinking about these heads now.. they're always pretty cheap, and if it's not too much hassle to fit one to an early block.... Swapping exhaust and intake sides would sort out a bunch of clearance issues I'm going to run into when going to rack and pinion... Plus it would just be so cool!

How have i not read this thread before?! McLovin' It.

• Like 1

the other issue with the head swap will be the cooling system, as the thermosat would normally mount off the back of the head, current plan is to mod the spare mx5 thermostat housing and remote mount it.. i have learnt that turbo on the drivers side is a headache - detials in the starlet thread. and the late model head looks cooler too, i have not seen this particular conversion done before?

There is a Starion over in the UK running the combo, its a widebody racecar, will try and dig up some details.

Yeah, you strike the saem cooling system problem using the older heads too. Best option, IMO, is to modify the coolant passages in the head to reverse the direction of flow, and then knock out the frost plug in the front of the head and weld a thermostat fitting of some description on there.

Not sure what to do with the later model heads though, do they have a convenient frost plug on the front below the cam gears at all?

When I built my chevette we capped the back of the head where the old thermo sat and rerouted the water through the EGR system so it spat out of a conveniant pipe at the back of the intake manifold. From there I just had an inline filler cap on the hose to a radiator. It's probably the only setup in the world like that, but I think it's good to think outside the box with this sort of stuff.

Evos don't have EGR (well, at least within the cylinder head anyway). They do have a frost plug on the timing belt side of the cylinder head which you can fit the thermostat housing to and modify the coolant flow from the rear of the cylinder head to the front as opposed to the opposite direction as it would be from factory.

Some pics from google

483149_10151962527200508_749910297_n.jpg

WP_000131.jpg

Engineassembly_zps2835a0dd.jpg

6znbic.jpg