Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

ive always been told, and it seems to work, that the piston should be fairly stiff to lift (ie take the air filter off and life the piston with your finger). for example on the trump, when its just been filled, i can push up on the piston and it will take 1-2 seconds to life at the way.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep- keep it all hush hush now I'm Mr number plate.... :wink:

Not started engineering business yet but next week we hope to build a little workshop at my brothers- just 10m2 to avoid need of consent. Then i'll be on the look out for a small lathe etc.

Loving this wee car so far. Much quieter now. Quite fun finishing little jobs tonight now that I know the major stuff is done. Spoke to cert man Kendall Bradley from Nelson- he seems like a GC and well friendly. If car passes wof tomorrow except for the lack of cert then I'll be bokking him to look at it two weeks time! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey cheers for those links man! Good stuff. The turbo tuning tips for minis don't always work for my setup as the Metro turbos blow through, whereas mine is suck through. But still good info.

I have played around with the tuning today and its heaps better. I'll update my thread now.

Just had Kendall Bradley ring up from Nelson to confirm he'll be over to cert it (hopefully) tomorrow so tonight I'll probably sleep badly thinking of everything that could go wrong....

He seems very friendly and interested in the car on the phone though so hopefully all will be good.

Good luck with the cert Alex - should all be sweet with the quality of workmanship you've put in.

Because they have 185/65 tyres I have had to do the clearance mods to my footwells as per the DTV sports part manual. It involves very careful, controlled swinging of a large hammer.

I like your references - is that the book Tuning Vivas and Firenzas by Coburn and Blydenstein? Also tells you where to gusset everything on the chassis so it doesn't put apart due to the sheer power produced. Wheel clearance is an essential mod, mid sized club hammer works well. No fancy cut and weld necessary - just bash it until required clearance is acheived! It's always more than you think becuase if you turn in under brakes more clearance is required.

Hiya Geoff,

Yeah thats the book. I have gone for just enough clearance and can always add more with more....bashing. The steels have 60 series tyres and with them on there's heaps of room. I'll see how it goes but as it is the tyres are about 10mm away from the footwell on hard lock at the closest point which I reckon is fine as i figure I'll never use hard out lock and brakes. Nothing would catch- just rub.