Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

Well done on Cert.

RE: Bushes - I have posted part numbers for someone else on here once,

The superflex/superpro ones are awesome - got some from Stocks when they were the agent. Cost arm, leg, and other minor body parts but so easy.

Part number cross references to something from the British Leyland stable from memory, maybe Triumph?

Other thing you can do and I tried this once was find someone that sells rubber/nolathane/urethane rod - there was a place in ChCh that I got some from possibly Mulford Plastics, or Ludowici - and you can turn it up to suit, but its terrible to machine. Just pop your old crush tubes back in.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other thing you can do and I tried this once was find someone that sells rubber/nolathane/urethane rod - there was a place in ChCh that I got some from possibly Mulford Plastics, or Ludowici - and you can turn it up to suit, but its terrible to machine. Just pop your old crush tubes back in.

I work in the Auckland Branch of Mulford Engineering Plastics. Let me know if you need any polyurethane rod and i will see what i can do for you. Possibly easier and cheaper to machine the bushes, than buying them off the shelf

Cheers

Blair

Is that just the four for the bottom tailing arms eh? I've not had a price yet so at least now I have a starting point- cheers.

I've friend down in chch who's absolutely Viva mad and has built some cool Vivas over the years. He told me yesterday that vauxhall used to make some much harder standard bushes with a metal sleeve on the outside as well and reckons they work much better. He's seen a fair few urethane bushes let go- apparently Vivas are hard on the front bushes in the upper arms and chew poly ones out quickly. Anyway - he thinks he might still have a set of these harder stock ones and is gonna have a look for me :)

I'm at that excited stage where my car is now close enough to being on the road that I can now start looking up essential tuning items such as this lot....

bowls.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/bowls-b ... 306583.htm

I want those books for my parcel shelf.

I'm looking for essential items like a straw hat, old tartan blanket and may make up my own lawn bowls club sticker- I'm thinking 'Dommet Lawn bowls association' because I just cant think of a much tinier south island town that many people may know of as they cruise through on SHY 1 than Domett? Other possibilities are 'Ward' or maybe Seddon...? :?

Like this but older style...

maitaiclub.jpg

I also need to make a dash top protector for the sun as my dash as no cracks. Plus this will hide the rev counter and other bits when it hangs down.

Maybe some beaded seat covers too? :)

I'm after a Viva tow bar so I can chuck the pushbikes on the back. I've been offered one for free off a HC Viva- I think it'll fit but its a really monsterous ugly thing. I can make my own but tow bars are always the sort of thing that most people end up throwing away.

what you need is a tweed sports jacket and a cigar or pipe!

Yep that's it. Was thinking the other day of a sticker like.. 'NZ historical Zimmer frame collectors society' :)

Billy- yeah man- if the plate arrives this week then i'll be over friday to fit it. Bloody well hope it turns up- itching to get it on the road now!!!! Will ring ya when its sorted eh!

hey alex about those crush tubes on the chassis where the x member bolts up....

The existing setup didnt have those did they, and the 4inch rail has a vertical bolts to the top with a nut bolt to it and the bottom end being part of a rubber mount configuration. Did you actually need to do all that or do they have a crush tube in there already? Who decides if its needed?, Its holding the front end of the car to the front x member and stuff? Me thinks i'l need to do that maybe... Easy job tho innit

the crush tubes i had to add were only where i was bolting up my home-made engine crossmember that goes in up the front. I didn't touch the standard crossmember apart from chopping off the original engine mounts.

So you'll be fine. You wont need crush tubes as you have not really altered your crossmember or its position. But yeah- they are easy to add.

Yeah I double checked and then triple checked the clearance of my phone to car interface. I also did a run over my phone with it facing the other way but it kept falling over. I wanted to link the two vids so it would be car going over from front then the shot of it disappearing into the distance.

I'll get more vids sometime. So crap though that the car looks really slow. Its not a rocket ship but is faster than it looks. Maybe I'll speed the vids up....