Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can do, but the theory (ohm's law) says

V = I R

(or re-arranged I = V / R)

Seeing as voltage is fixed at 14.5 volts the current only depends on resistance. (which is why a shorted piece of wire across battery terminals blows up in your hand, no resistance)

Just measure the resistance, and buy a resistor that is well in spec of the maximum rated power (watts).

When resistors fail, they fail like fuses, so no biggie anyway.

im probably confusing the hell out of you with all that ^^

Just use these two equations to calculate the 'power' being used:

Voltage(volts) = Current(amps) * Resistance(ohms)

Power(watts) = Voltage(volts) * Current(amps)

Note, as resistance increases, current decreases, so just use the resistance of the potentiometer you calibrated (any resistance added by the temperature sender will simply decrease the current and therefore power expended by the resistor).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah front is a little higher than the rear so will probably have to take a coil out at front. Not going any lower than that though- It'll get used on some pretty rough roads at times. Plus hows an old man to get from his high zimmer frame into a low viva?

Hey Alex,

Those wheels look good tidied up and with the crome hub caps. Very 60s.

What size rubber on them? The fronts look a bit small. The 205/60s I had on them looked quite different.

Not far now from cert and road going?

They are 185/60. Spot on as the sides are almost straight. I'm not one for stretched rubber that these young folk are all into... (its getting chilly- where's my cardigan?)

Not long now but seriously run out of money. So just little things. Cert etc may have to wait.

cool- thanks for that :D

I'm really glad I'm at this point now with Viva- just some little things to do. Tinker away. Its fun when I can read other peoples builds knowing I have my own little project almost ready.

• 1 month later...