Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

Yeah those holes were there already- some sort of emissions thing I think. I think its where in certain conditions air can go from the port into exhaust to help get a full/clean burn. I hardly ground up- more just smoothed off the transition. And I only went down as far as the bottom of the runner. It really was just a clean up.

I'm glad you think it looks good. I was a bit nervous at first as I have seen photos in the past of some shocking porting jobs. Sort of why I didn't want to get too carried away...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck I bet there are loads of rotas out there plugging away with all sorts of massive amounts of clearances that Mr Mazda man in Japan wouldn't be happy with....

Gave me a good laugh on a sunday morning :lol: Shit dude i could tell you some stories of motors that you wouldnt believe. I actually sold a whole icecream container full of grenade seals to a "professional" motorbuilder from palmy awhile ago, that idiot has no idea what the word clearnace even means and yet he still builds motors for a buisness.

You will be perfectly fine with your motor, sideseal clearance is not the end of the world anyway.

The best bit I think was tightening the through bolts up and seeing the 0.75mm gaps between the plates and housings where the water seal O rings were holding them apart close up for a nice tight seal (hopefully...)

What?? you have a measurable gap between plate and housing?? :? whats your end float like?

Dont mean to worry you, this may well be something ive never heard of before but im unaware of anyone having a measurable gap as plate and housing generally fit tight together.

Cheers man. Hey just been reading up on su hif carbs and there is a vent tube for float chamber.... which I had put a little cap on the seal it and stop shit getting in there :rolleyes: I think this may be the problem and cause of erratic fuel delivery eh...

I'll try it again tomorrow hopefully. The other thing I might check for is a leaky float.

Cheers man. Hey just been reading up on su hif carbs and there is a vent tube for float chamber.... which I had put a little cap on the seal it and stop shit getting in there :rolleyes: I think this may be the problem and cause of erratic fuel delivery eh...

I'll try it again tomorrow hopefully. The other thing I might check for is a leaky float.

leaky float/set too low.. but if you can run the engine at idle by spraying ether (engine start) down the carb then that will confirm something to do with fuel.

looking good ive walked past your place a couple time thought bout randomly stopping in to say hi and check the projects out in person.

If I'm out and about when you walk past and ya see me then sure, pop in and say hi :) Mind the smelly doggys otherwise.

With SU's - generally the FULL rebuild kit includes throttle shaft and bushes and 90% of the time they are not required - if you just get the gasket set you get everything you need (including needle and seat) bar those 2 and its between 1/3 and 1/2 the price..