Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Ahh- you might be right about it being set at 4 cylinder because when I gave it a little rev it didn't go as high as i thought it should.

It does take the signal from the negative but doesn't matter which coil if the engine has all the emissions shit removed, as both my coils are functioning all the time.

I'll try it switched to 4 cylinders next time. If so then it means its still idling too fast dammit.

• 2 months later...

The way petrol prices are going I reckon an old car with a diesel turbo conversion - so long as you can disconnect the speedo for mega cheapness....

Honest though- I do like the way this car is going but I would be just as happy with any half decent motor slung in there. I mainly went the rotary way because I got a bargain motor for bugger all money so it was an easy choice, although I do like working with them now I done a couple. But since having the centre plate frost damage so having to look for parts, I was quite shocked to see what rotaries engines cost out there.

BTW- there is a cheap cosmo on trademe right now.

yeah we did. It was a lady who was near blenheim but has now moved down south near chch. Make sure the kittens parents have been screened for hip and heart problems that can affect mainecoons. Lots of good info out there and i think most breeders are good in nz.

Nah no skids yet. Wont be back to Blenheim to work on it for another few weeks. I want to book it for the cert fella from chch to cert it but dont want to book that till I know its all good. I need to add another muffler too as I want it even quieter. I want it nice and quiet so it sounds like an old car when cruising about hence attracting less attention from them in blue eh. 8) I've had enough loud cars- they become a bore on long trips. It would be different if it was going to be really quick- then i'd put up with more noise :)

Thats a good idea. Its weird though because it should be all fine and dandy as the carb setup is all original and setup exactly for this engine/turbo setup.

I'm running some 10/40 weight engine oil in the dashpot damper rather than the standard 20weight. This is based on the fact that many places I have read state the later HIF carbs like mine use a heavier oil. There is so much (un)informed :rolleyes: debate out there about oil weights.

Maybe the oil I am using is thinning out?

I have to top up the dash pots of the triumph every couple of months (I use power steering fluid).

it gets to a point where the car will missfire/pop/fat when I floor it, but as soon as I top up the dashpots, it completely dissapears.

moral of the story, make sure your damper (and all associated components and spring, oils etc) is up to scratch.