Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Cheers. I was not sure. I've been reading up a little but soooo much info out there its a head fuck. I reckon my plugs have fouled up because apart from this trip to and from Blenheim most driving in the car has been around town with the occasional 'blast'. I remember with both the chevette and the rx3 that much town miles would foul up the plugs.

What I should have done was clean up the plugs before I left for Blenheim and then see how they fare.

Maybe the buildup on the plugs has created hot spots leading to detonation under high load?

I should clean the plugs and see how it goes with some ragging up some hills.

I am using decent motorcycle 2 stroke oil for premix at 100:1 as I have always done so I know thats not an issue. I think one big issue for the fine tuning of this engine is the fact it has mild street ports and the carb's needle is chosen for a standard 12A. Hence at low speeds/ idling its a bit rich but at high speed/load its lean. I need to look at the chart Tortron had posted up and maybe play with some other needles.

When you fellas out there set up turbo'd engines what sort of AF ratios do you aim for on boost? and at cruising?

Even vaster bulk now having just got back from 2 days in the rain over below farewell spit. Oh boy did I eat, drink tea, coffee, eat, watch the rain.

Your picture is not showing up for some reason Napoleon? And damn I'm curious...

If my plugs are fouling from town driving then hotter plugs would sort that eh?

I'm gonna clean my plugs and then try not to drive the car like a big girls blouse to avoid fouling them up again. I know that it was not missing or pre-igniting when we first took it up for a good ragging after getting it road legal. The plugs were new and clean. I'm using NGK iridium plugs which I have always used with really good results.

Might get some more once I know which way to go temp wise. I get them from sprakplugs.co.uk and they only cost $12 each. Find someone heading this way and get them to bring em over. Brothers coming over in Feb..