Orions rx7 of omg

rot808

And Judas freakin' Priest blasting out the nearest set of speakers. It is known.

Fuck yeah the Rx is finally legal. Clean sheet WOF and err'thing.

From here on in I'll need to do some required maintenance/servicing (the clutch master and slave are next on the list for replacement/refurbishment) but for the most part I'mma turn my attention back to the Skyline and enjoy smooth rotary power as Matsuda intended from factory :D

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike - next time try BNT, they'll more than likely have some at Te Rapa.

Any chance of a pic of said rotary plugs, I still haven't seen any yet, little curious considering the prices...

Here's a photo some Japanese guy prepared earlier.

p1.jpg

Nothing flash about these, they're regular off-the-shelf NGK plugs designed for use in rotary engines. Apart from the design of the plug tips I don't know what else sets them apart from "regular" piston engine plugs.

Actually the underbonnet diagrams state I should be running slightly different plugs with slightly different tips leading and trailing, but the 7EQ and 9EQ are ubiquitous enough that I should be able to get away with using them.

Also one of the types (NGK S-D9) has long since been discontinued.

• 8 months later...

Old man Michael is correct; out of all my cars the Rx-7 has the most consistent roadmap, so I'm just slowly doing stuff to it on the side while I wait for the new timing chain to arrive for the Skyline which is the likely Nats candidate.

The wheels were a real wild card situation, I scored them so cheap off Yahoo that I figured if they weren't right for the car I could on-sell for next to no loss. Fortunately they turned out to be a nice look and fit in the end, and so they stayed - although I have been coveting 14" SSR MkIIs lately...

Evan, no way, haha! I was thinking about flanging the factory exhaust after the flexi, and replacing the mid and rear sections with a resonator plus a decent muffler from Japan (unless someone like AJ at Pitstop can suggest a suitable local alternative).

Of course the trick will be to give the exhaust note a bit more bark to emphasize that crisp signature rotary buzz, but keep it on the quiet side.

What inspired me was the sound of Joe GoatFlange's FD, actually. Had a minor eargasm as soon as I heard it driving up the street when I was down in Wellington the other week :)

8419618530_168a15f3e6_c.jpg

Admittedly, the Rx-7 will serve as the Nats backup if I somehow fail to get coupe ready in time, but I wouldn't take it on the track.

I would be quite happy with this amount of slam. Tastefully low, without being too outrageous. Steelies are a nice touch too!

U00008958448_001.jpg

U00008958448_4_001.jpg

Admittedly, the Rx-7 will serve as the Nats backup if I somehow fail to get coupe ready in time, but I wouldn't take it on the track.

I would be quite happy with this amount of slam. Tastefully low, without being too outrageous. Steelies are a nice touch too!

U00008958448_001.jpg

U00008958448_4_001.jpg

curious, given at the time nobody would have driven an RX7 on steels. hell, it's not a commodore!