Evan

Members
  • Content Count

    2,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2,930 Excellent

About Evan

  • Rank
    seven

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling

Converted

  • Local Area
    Auckland

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Evan

    Lowering - RX30 Cressida

    he lives in the states now and doesn't come on here so you probably won't get a reply
  2. Air bag (cup) mounts, do they need to be tig'd and crack tested or just mig away?
  3. Awhile back I picked up a pair of Slam Specialties RE6s for the back and set about drawing some circles on the computer and getting them laser cut, then I countersunk some holes into them so they can be bolted to the rear arms via the two threads you can see sticking out below I loosely put the diff back in the car today and tricked Dave into coming around by promising him a swim. Put one of the original 13in wheels on it and mounted the bag to the lower arm then dicked around with bits of wood as spacers to work out how tall the cups for the top mounts were going to need to be. Came up with a number but turns out the tube I purchased is too small in diameter to fit over the upper springs perch - must have been holding the wrong end of the ruler or something. Anyway will come up with a work around tomorrow. I won't be running the 13s, I've got some 14in steels from a W108 Mercedes which run the (IMO) better looking single piece hubcap apposed to the 2 piece items that 13in rims run, but the 14s don't have tyres on them so for measuring purposes the 13s will have to suffice etc. will muck around with it some more tomorrow.
  4. Kia Ora, I decided to pull the diff apart a couple of months ago is it was 5 star manky and the rubber bush on the pivot rod and boot that joins the two halves were perished. If you ever hear of anyone saying they're going to pull apart a Mercedes swing axle stop them immediately; they're the biggest pain in the ass to take apart and an even larger one to get back together. Way back when I got the car I put an order through to Pelican parts and brought a load of new seals and bearings (along with shocks and bushes etc). I raided this stash for a new pinion seal. The pinion nut on these is some stupid castle nut thing, which the Special Mercedes tool for costs something like $120 from the states, flagging that idea I picked up one of these from Aliexpress for approximately $7, it's for removing some motorcycle clutch or something but it just so happens to be the right size and did the job, fingers and toes are crossed that the preload on the pinion bearing is right, I think it's close enough. the bearings inside all looked ok. Regreased everything and smushed it back together with some new bits, it's now far tidier - but hasn't gotten any lighter.
  5. Evan

    wanted to borrow: M20 Tap

    Will jingle jingle tomorrow
  6. Evan

    wanted to borrow: M20 Tap

    Thanks for checking Yeah I've had a google, trying to avoid buying one for the 30mm of thread I want to clean up. all else fails I might just try putting a new bolt in it and call it good.
  7. Hi Hi Hi, long shot but would anyone in Auckland have an M20 (1.5 pitch) tap I could borrow it re-cut a thread in a tube i have? Can bring a beer around for you to drink while I sort my shit in your driveway etc. Ta, Evan
  8. Evan

    Zeubin's 1972 Datsun 240z

    Nah I paid all my bills
  9. Evan

    Zeubin's 1972 Datsun 240z

    Waiting for the invoice isn't as fun as waiting for a package from the couriers though
  10. Ta da! That's the last bit of rust on the shell taken care of, you can see some pitting on the parcel shelf but meh, it'll be ok. The whole thing is in primer now and at home while I save some more money before having the actual panel and paint done.
  11. Also the new sills have been fitted to both sides, both front jacking supports were replaced while they were off along with new inner front sill sections. Repairs have also been made to the front right corner of the drivers floor pan, left hand side of the front passenger floor pan and replacement of the whole rear left floor pan The next step is to fix this gem. The previous owner had begun cutting out sections of the rear parcel shelf/bottom of rear windscreen area including the lip that the rear windscreen seal sits on. Originally I thought I could still get these panels new from Mercedes like I did the boot floor which would of meant a simple(r) case of drilling out spot welds and welding in a whole new panel. Turns out I was wrong on the availability of replacement panels and this guy is going to need to be repaired, oh yay.