Orions rx7 of omg

rot808

Sam, feel free to swing by and grab the rail, take measurements, or whatever. But again, just like the OEM interior, I guarantee I can buy one for less that what a sheet metaller would charge to make a custom rail - it just means waiting another few months/years for one to appear :tongue:

Also, I doubt anything made locally would have the turned-up edges that the OEM rail has.

7123492179_7754dce27e_z.jpg

yes, I'm a fussy arsehole. But by all means, surprise me!

Also, can you not just get springs here?

I have never had a good run with anything produced locally. They're also surprisingly expensive... those ZOOM ones are 18,000 yen (plus Ewan's commission and shipping), whereas a set of Kung Sprungs would set me back around $600 at least.

For example. I had to buy some Cobras at exorbitant cost for the DR30 (something like $800, yeah I probably got tucked, but you try fixing a car like that in the 14 days they give you for a VIN recheck) so it could pass compliance, they were marketed as lowering springs, but actually raised the car and made the handling even worse than it already was. Hated them so much that after the car passed compliance I just bought a set from Japan instead, for cheaper than what the Cobras cost me. And they are way better.

as the old adage goes, "Fool me once..."

These are lowering springs? I'll eat my shoe.

dr30sedan-01.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Da fuck? If you ever want springs man, I can usually do Cobra ones for ~$200 a pair, Kings are around $250ish.

Chamberlains are pretty conservative with their springs, guess they have to be for liabilities sake.

ah t-rue, shall keep it in mind.

Having the JDM junk keeping the car sprung just seems right though, in keeping with the overarching theme. Whereas rolling around with Cobras equipped almost begs facilitating a set of modgies to match :lol:

but technically the car will be half USDM inside... maybe I should trick 'er out with Racing Beat stz 8)

dont be so quick to disregard a locally built one,

it will take a sheetmetal guy all of 7 minutes to cut a strip off and run it twice through a swaging jenny

in his lunch break.

its all in your attitude weather whoever you approach would bother doing it or not.

Da fuck? If you ever want springs man, I can usually do Cobra ones for ~$200 a pair, Kings are around $250ish.

Chamberlains are pretty conservative with their springs, guess they have to be for liabilities sake.

ah t-rue, shall keep it in mind.

Having the JDM junk keeping the car sprung just seems right though, in keeping with the overarching theme. Whereas rolling around with Cobras equipped almost begs facilitating a set of modgies to match :lol:

but technically the car will be half USDM inside... maybe I should trick 'er out with Racing Beat stz 8)

Yeah hard to go past the Japanese stuff really...guess its kinda their market after all.

Also, no modgies on my KE70s, rolling Cobras f0 sh0 :P

That stereo just looks perfect in there!

Well tonight I drillported the engine, fitted a phat rotary-shaped exhaust tip, and gave the entire car a glitter camo respray.

Add modgays and some gilmourslogo.jpg and that would have been awesome!

Gilmers will make it sound evil, but with hardly any exhaust noise it would be excessive :lol:

Here's an example of what it could sound like with a beefier exhaust:

But I'm just going to leave it alone, haha.

Slowly chipping away at all the little things that need done in the meantime.

Fixed the broken lid on the centre console last nite, using parts from a ratty one that I bought for cheap some time ago. Also placed an order thru a friend at BNT for replacement clutch master and slave cylinders - he wasn't sure if anything was still available off the shelf, but I'll find out on Monday I suppose. the bore is apparently too far gone on the master cylinder to rebuild, but I'm keeping my options open.

Not a lot left to do on the interior, was thinking of taking the door cards off to see if anything could be done about the vinyl (it's starting to bubble and lift, for some weird reason) but may just leave that up to a professional to investigate. Have to tidy up a heap of speaker and power cabling but that can wait until the 2-seater parts arrive.

ha, indeed.

I shall shortly commence ripping it open to inspect the contents within, as I've just walked back into the office.

If it turns out to be the same as the other rail, look for the mushroom cloud over the Auckland CBD - that'll be my head exploding

It's easy when you have the forbearance of a monk. Had a meeting to go to, which facilitated leaving the parcel unopened next to my desk anyway.

But I have opened it and found the rail to be the correct colour and length (it just needs a clean), so mission accomplished in that regard. No mushroom clouds today.

It even has the same "crackle texture" as the gearknob/dashboard/console.

nyhg2gag.xre.jpg

Fucked rear spoiler on the banana has always been a point of contention. The rubber tends to shit itself over time, and my one has been made worse by the fact that the previous owner in Japan mounted an external high-stop light which eventually got removed during the course of the car's life anyway, leaving an ugly impression that was then poorly filled in with Bondo or something equally rank.

GQE7l.jpg

so I got to browsing on YAJ and there seem to be a couple of tidy FRP ones floating around, but they don't have the hole for the aerial that's standard on all Series 3 rear spoilers.

curious to know if it's easy enough to "modify" the FRP spoiler (i.e., drill a hole the right size) without a whole heap of re-glassing?

kamikaze18h-img600x450-1309856487dpmh2684921.jpg

It would depend on the construction of the FRP around the area where the hole needed to be, there's no doubt you would need to do a little bit of work but it might not be a lot and could potentially be done in a substance other than fibreglass.

Hmm think I'll pass, especially seen as the FRP spoiler would set me back $400 even before I start hacking into it.

guess it'll be a whole heap of waiting and hoping a better rubber spoiler turns up on the 2nd hand market either here, in Japan, or in the States.

I have a contact who does plastic repair to a very high standard; in a similar vein I wonder if there are any good rubber repairers/restorers out there somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding your rubber spoiler, I read of a company called Trimfix yesterday who are in Auckland, could be worth a go? Apparently they can repair plastics and rubber trims...

Finally though! Rejoice! On the road to er, the road!

Dibs driving it to the first event a driver is needed for :P