mjrstar's 79 bugeye starlet

mjrstar

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Bug-Eye Starlets and although that bulge on the bonnet is for the turbo because it's not able to go anywhere else... it looks horrific. Still though, a straight 6 in a Starlet is fucking magic :twisted:

The bulge is far from ideal, I'd love to go to a smaller twin scroll turbo on a low mount manifold and fit the spare mint bonnet i have stashed.

The problem with the car on the whole is that it's been built to work rather than look pretty, which of course i am now regretting.

I guess mounting the turbo in the boot might make it a bit laggy. :lol:

Awsome! what barand and full profile are those tyres?

Tyres on that one are 205/50/15 dunlop 02G (mediums). they were the control tyre for targe up until 2 years ago when they switched to 03G's.

I have a set of both 03 and 02's for my *cough* evo *cough* they do make for a nice sticky road tyre if you can put up with the high wear rate and uber road noise.

as for finding bits to repair 1g's well yeah it seems like it's up there with rocking horse shit, although with some 4k big end bearings, 3s mains have got that part of the equation sorted..

• 1 month later...

The manifold is around 3 litres, it uses the original non tvis inlet runners cut off and a folded up plenum. Pretty sure it then has a 7m throttle body.

No idea what it would cost to build sorry.

I have probably got a few more pics of it somewhere..

( i think the rca's are around 45mm) the current height sees the bottom arms/steering rack ends pretty much horizontal whereas they were angled a little upward before. So I may have possibly reduced bump steer, time will tell i guess.

Getting it closer to the road was more for the look than trying to find more handling/grip, some aero aids are probably on the list if i get serious about handling.. not sure if i can be bothered with that in all honesty.

Does anyone know if those TRD duck-bill spoilers actually provide any downforce?

From what I've heard just a front splitter and something to disrupt the air flow over the hatch would make a huge amount of difference on a hatch. Not sure about those duck bills but they were developed for race use in an unlimited aero class as far as I know, so should achieve something desirable. Plus look wicked.

And yeah, was just wondering about the handling as in the feel of the car, because mine is very heavy with 15's on it, wondering if raising it abit at the front would perhaps lighten it up a bit for some reason.

Still waiting for turbo bits, in other news I eyed up a set of evo 1-3 rear coil-overs, it looks like they could be made to fit without major dramas.. i'd have to beef up the diff mounting and find a bit of 5'' tube to weld in to attach to the top of the suspension.