mjrstar's 79 bugeye starlet

mjrstar

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty sure they dont have a cca rating, as thats not there intended use. looks like a 18ah battery to me. use them alot at work. had a 40ah version of that in my car for awhile. started okish. but nothing on proper car gel cell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sweet, good to know. I will need to devise a plan to attach in a strong enough manner so it doesn't part company at 240kph..

I was thinking either some M6 nut inserts or possibly welding some short bits of m6 threaded rod onto the hatch.. either way would get some decent load spreading material strips of steel/thick aluminium over the mounting holes to prevent cracking.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the traction issue is 2 fold, firstly there is not enough weight in the rear, and secondly it's running some semi slicks which are past their best before date..

It tends to hook up a little bit better at the track once it gets some heat into the tyres... although it's still not great..

on the looks front, it's ok from a distance, but my back-yarder panel / paint skills let it down a bit when you are closer than about 20ft away..

have you done anything with the diff links at all? dropping the lower links down at the diff end will give you alot more traction. if you haven't done it already. but dropping them down too far will make the ass end start to fell sloppy. "roll steer" i think they call it.

I brought the front up 15mm before the track day which has helped with the front end feel. The rear is all factory arms which as you guys mention above would be a good place to start looking to improve. The 33 year old rubbers have probably done thier dash.

Sorry no video which is a shame as it does sound pretty decent.