mjrstar's 79 bugeye starlet

mjrstar

Like that guy that welded extra tabs to the compressor wheel and it still worked. Cant find link but was gross.

Hey with the heavy steering thing - have you looked into pulling castor foward? Apparently the simple answer is to make up new front sway bar mounts, which are located forward of original ones, which in turn pulls LCA forward too.

I used to do wheel alignments and had a couple of fiddles with castor - the amount of difference in even a degree was amazing. As you pull the strut forward it just gets so much sharper at turning in

fuck up spanners

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of extra castor does sound like a nice idea... I was thinking of machining a longer shank on the swaybar and getting it threaded to pull the bottom arm forward, but brackets could well be an easier/cheaper option...

Is this likely to cause destruction of the lower arm inner bush where it mounts to the crossmember ??

I wouldnt think so. If you pulled the LCA foward 5mm at the sway bar end that might only translate to half a degree of movement at the cross member end (all figures pulled out of my ass)

Even if it did put extra wear on it, how long would the bush last standard? 100,000km? So even a quarter of that life would be sufficient?

I am just trying to talk you into it cos I want to do it later but need a test pilot :)

Sounds like an interesting plan.. I'll have to whip out the tape measure, as things are getting a little tight in the front already with the 205/50/15's.

Also I have found my spare swaybar which appears to be a bit thicker than the one on the car, may have to measure it up in case my eyes are playing tricks on me...

• 2 months later...
It's ridiculousness is off the chart.

Agreed, (although not so sure that ridiculousness is a real word).

It doesn't even have a purpose, can't drive it in the rain, and it's not really track ready and it sure isn't road legal :!:

The only useful thing it does is remind me that my other cars are slow...

• 3 weeks later...

someone PM'd me about videos of the car in action...

the only one i know of is this 4 year old dyno video.. Seeing as i don't own own a video camera or know how to operate you-tube.

You need to fast forward to around 2 minutes, as the first bit is just us talking crap about FPR plumbing..

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...