mjrstar's 79 bugeye starlet

mjrstar

when you say "heavy" are you talking steering or more to do with the increase in unsprung weight?

Just heavy steering, turn in on a track is a bit of a mission. Spence said the steering wheel is too big :lol: but its a problem somewhere in the suspension/wheel setup I think.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like it had a speed flow fitting for breakfast and spat it out the exhaust for the turbo to have a taste too.

apparently a piece of round metal resembling a ball bearing appeared once the turbo was pulled apart, no idea what's going on there....

some fittings have these in the screw on part. like an elbow joint.

I want this car muchly. So so sweet! Must be happy to have it back on the road!

Pretty sure the sound it makes wouldn't put you off either. :bounce:

looks like it had a speed flow fitting for breakfast and spat it out the exhaust for the turbo to have a taste too.

some fittings have these in the screw on part. like an elbow joint.

yeah i have seen the speedflow fittings with a roll-pin or ball arrangement to make them swivel etc.. But sadly I have not splashed out on any flash fittings on the car..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Time will tell.. It's cost me a $116 so I'm not too phased..

I believe the total weight removed would be around 1/2 a gram (a lot less than the carbon build-up from a used turbo) and this was removed from all the blades.. Sure I could have left it on there and seen how it went.

The other option was to get it fully rebuilt with all new parts which would set me back around $1200.

A mate of mine damaged his turbo in the 2009 targa, which he happily finished the event on.

P1000572.jpg

And another one from a different mate... This one came a a surprise when he was removing the intake piping and apparently was like this for quite some time..

DSC08049.jpg

Having worked on jet engines for a little over 10 years it was standard practice to file turbine blades which showed evidence of tip rub so long as the overall diameter was within limits, sure the RPM is a lot slower compared to a turbo but the percentage of weight removed would still be far greater..

I really dont know anything about turbos, but I guess that as the mass is so low and the moment of inertia is small they wouldnt have too much momentum even though they are doing massive rpm. At any rate surely deburring all edges to maintain an equal loss of material and equal inertia would mean a longer turbo life? You do seem to enjoy destroying turbos though :D

Not a dig at all, but its interesting that you are wiling to try that out when a shop goes to all the bother of balancing them to within tiny amounts, does cost mass money though

should go pretty sweet with that turbo, nice and responsive you would think. agree shouldnt be a big deal about the exhaust wheel. the ht18 on our truck is pretty wasted, but hasn't destroyed itself. looks like its had a good dose of apex seals thru the turbine