mjrstar's 79 bugeye starlet

mjrstar

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will have a measure up on mine, how far i dropped the links from factory. you'll be surprised how much grip it'll gain. at drags i went from doing 2.1 60fts to 1.9. only change was dropping the bottom link a notch.

^^ That would be awesome thanks... I had a look at the early pages on your project thread for a bit of inspiration..

I reckon some laser cut flanges are on the cards for both the lower arm mounts and the shock mounts, what did you use on your car for the rear coil-overs?

I was also thinking about the lowering of the diff end arm position and wondering if it is this to regain a horizontal line on a severely lowered car or is there more to it? (my car is not really all that low at present)

no probs. you probably seen this pic i dug up.

Pic_0003df.jpg

blue bit is original kp mount. everything else ive added on, its not finished in that pic, there is another plate that wraps around the back to strengthen it up. green hole is original diff link hole. orange ones are the ones i use now.

kpdiff.jpg

i usually have it set on the middle one. which is about 40mm lower than factory. the bottom one is about 65mm lower than stock. pretty much only use it for drags, as find it makes the ass end feel even more sloppy, than the usual kp sloppiness. but give alot more grip. haven't tried the top one tbh. holes are further forward than factory, to push the wheelbase out further, no other reason.

yeh there is a bit more to it than just realigning after being lowered. but that comes into it also.

if you cant be assed welding the case, T3 might do a bolt on kit for kp. they do for ae86. but good thing about doing it like above, with a range of holes. can test and see what works best for your setup.

rear coil overs are from a ep82 starlet. 250lb springs

if you got super keen under there, id be tempted to do a watts link or similar. should tighten it up alot.

cheers for the explanation, I don't think i'll go down the same track of increasing wheelbase in my car, as it will only lead to moving the effective front / rear weight distribution further forward and it must be pretty nose heavy as it is...

looking at your pictures i reckon i might (depending on shock eye widths) be able to make 4 large plates, 2 on each side to pick up the lower arm mounts and lower rear shock mounts too.. Will probably focus on the fuel system first though...

• 4 weeks later...

unsure about the road legal deal at this stage... probably not to be honest.

Plate hinge - yeah HQ's and Mk1 cortinas come to mind, but no doubt there would be some american stuff too, possibly some of the Jeeps?

• 5 weeks later...

^ It's only a small bracket for routing the handbrake cables, i would not have considered welding suspension uprights etc...

Bogangeof suggested I whack it with a hammer - and it if doesn't fall off it's then safe to say it's strong enough.

I got curious after reading that, I even searched for the reference he was making (in the project thread), read it, thought, hrmm, went out to the garage, beat the hamster till he was turning his wheel good and fast then turned the welder on and then struck a bead up on a rib on a g series diff, seemed to arc nicely, and puddle just fine.

The problem is that it doesn't take tension forces very well (ie cracks not deforms), which is what happens when it cools.

To be fair, the only cast I have (tried to) welded has not been automotive (unsure if the composition would differ?), and was a bigger scale. So it's probably just me being paranoid :)

There's a difference between cast iron and cast steel too.

I know a rally driver who has cut and welded parts of a cast hub multiple times (to get the bump steer right) and has never had one crack or break. It's all about how you weld it and making sure to V into the material a long way.

^this. sounds like you may have welded cast iron? cast steel is what you will find on most car stuff, is more like mild steel than cast iron, but still is not all created the same. which will be why there is a blanket, "no." to certing anything welded to a casting .